A primer on R&D cooperation among firms
AbstractThis paper provides an introduction to the economic analysis of R&D cooperation among firms. Basing on some stylized facts, we survey the relevant theoretical literature in order to discuss the benefits and the costs that firms face when they cooperate in R&D. We then analyze the pros and the cons of R&D cooperation from a policy-making perspective. We find that R&D cooperation is usually considered welfare improving and can be promoted by several policies. Finally, we discuss paths of research not yet taken in the theoretical literature.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area in its series Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) with number 130.
Date of creation: Sep 2012
Date of revision:
R&D Cooperation; R&D spillovers; Welfare; Innovation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O30 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - General
- L40 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - General
- L24 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Contracting Out; Joint Ventures
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-10-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2012-10-06 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CSE-2012-10-06 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-INO-2012-10-06 (Innovation)
- NEP-PPM-2012-10-06 (Project, Program & Portfolio Management)
- NEP-SBM-2012-10-06 (Small Business Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tomaso Duso & Enrico Pennings & Jo Seldeslachts, 2008.
"The Dynamics of Research Joint Ventures: A Panel Data Analysis,"
CIG Working Papers
SP II 2007-12, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Duso, Tomaso & Pennings, Enrico & Seldeslachts, Jo, 2007. "The Dynamics of Research Joint Ventures: A Panel Data Analysis," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 221, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Simona Fabrizi & Steffen Lippert, 2007. "On Moral Hazard and Joint R&D," Keele Economics Research Papers KERP 2007/03, Centre for Economic Research, Keele University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.