The clean development mechanism and technology transfer to China
AbstractIn this study we analyse the role of the Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) established by the Kyoto Protocol in channelling foreign technology to China. The descriptive analysis investigates the sources and the determinants of foreign technology transfer based on the examination of 1,355 registered projects. As key features, we show the prominence of German firms as technology providers and the absence of a strong relationship between technology suppliers and credit buyers. We also discuss the role of leading Chinese and foreign consultants and of major credit buyers. The econometric analysis finds that project size and cost, project location, credit buyers’ and consultants’ characteristics, as well as technology diffusion are all relevant factors in determining the probability of having a foreign supplier of technology in the respective project.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area in its series Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) with number 129.
Date of creation: Sep 2012
Date of revision:
Technology transfer; CDM; climate change; China; FDI;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- Q55 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environmental Economics: Technological Innovation
- Q56 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environment and Development; Environment and Trade; Sustainability; Environmental Accounts and Accounting; Environmental Equity; Population Growth
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-11-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2012-11-24 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2012-11-24 (Environmental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wang, Bo, 2010. "Can CDM bring technology transfer to China?--An empirical study of technology transfer in China's CDM projects," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 2572-2585, May.
- Schroeder, Miriam, 2009. "Utilizing the clean development mechanism for the deployment of renewable energies in China," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 237-242, February.
- Lewis, Joanna I., 2010. "The evolving role of carbon finance in promoting renewable energy development in China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 2875-2886, June.
- Antoine Dechezleprêtre & Matthieu Glachant & Ivan Hascic & Nick Johnstone & Yann Ménière, 2011.
"Invention and transfer of climate change-mitigation technologies: A global analysis,"
- Antoine Dechezlepr�tre & Matthieu Glachant & Ivan Haščič & Nick Johnstone & Yann Ménière, 2011. "Invention and Transfer of Climate Change--Mitigation Technologies: A Global Analysis," Review of Environmental Economics and Policy, Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 5(1), pages 109-130, Winter.
- Doranova, Asel & Costa, Ionara & Duysters, Geert, 2010. "Knowledge base determinants of technology sourcing in clean development mechanism projects," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 5550-5559, October.
- Matthieu Glachant & Antoine Dechezleprêtre & Yann Ménière, 2007.
"The Clean Development Mechanism and the International Diffusion of Technologies: An Empirical Study,"
2007.105, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Dechezleprêtre, Antoine & Glachant, Matthieu & Ménière, Yann, 2008. "The Clean Development Mechanism and the international diffusion of technologies: An empirical study," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 1273-1283, April.
- Antoine Dechezleprêtre & Matthieu Glachant & Yann Ménière, 2008. "The Clean Development Mechanism and the International Diffusion of Technologies: An Empirical Study," Post-Print hal-00397198, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.