Inflation Targeting in Brazil: Reviewing Two Years of Monetary Policy 1999/00
AbstractIn July 1999, Brazil implemented a formal inflation-targeting framework for monetary policy, less than six months after moving to a floating exchange rate regime. This work evaluates the initial years of the Brazilian experience with inflation targeting. During the period the inflation rate remained in the targeted range, despite the several external and domestic adverse shocks that hit the Brazilian economy. The new monetary framework proved to be fundamental to enhance transparency and to guide expectations, thus preventing transitory inflation surges to develop into permanent inflation increases.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department in its series Working Papers Series with number 25.
Date of creation: Aug 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.bcb.gov.br/?english
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pedro H. Albuquerque, 2001.
"Os Impactos Econômicos da CPMF: Teoria e Evidência,"
Working Papers Series
21, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Pedro H. Albuquerque, 2005. "Os Impactos Econômicos da CPMF: Teoria e Evidência," Public Economics 0511020, EconWPA, revised 26 Nov 2005.
- Pedro H. Albuquerque, 2001. "Os Impactos Econômicos da CPMF: Teoria e Evidência," Anais do XXIX Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 29th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 029, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Marcelle Chauvet, 2000. "Leading Indicators of Inflation for Brazil," Working Papers Series 7, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Victorio Y. T. Chu & Márcio I. Nakane, 2001. "Credit Channel without the LM Curve," Working Papers Series 20, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Pedro H. Albuquerque, 2000. "An Information Theory Approach to the Aggregation of Log-Linear Models," Working Papers Series 4, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Francisco Marcos Rodrigues Figueiredo, 2001. "Evaluating Core Inflation Measures for Brazil," Working Papers Series 14, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Eduardo Lundberg, 2000. "Monetary Policy and Banking Supervision Functions on the Central Bank," Working Papers Series 2, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Emanuel-Werner Kohlscheen, 2000. "Estimating Exchange Market Pressure and Intervention Activity," Working Papers Series 9, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francisco Marcos Rodrigues Figueiredo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.