Highly qualified Mexican immigrants in the U.S. and transfer of resources from Mexico to the U.S. through the education costs of Mexican migrants
AbstractIn this article, we calculate the number of Mexican immigrants with doctorates living in the United States. We describe some of their characteristics and point to some factors that contribute to the emigration of this group of persons. We also quantify the transfer that Mexico has made to the United States through the education costs of the Mexican migrants prior to their emigration. On average, we find that over recent years Mexico has made a transfer of resources equivalent to just over half a percentage point of GDP each year.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department in its series Working Papers with number 1126.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2011
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-09-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2011-09-16 (Development)
- NEP-EDU-2011-09-16 (Education)
- NEP-LAB-2011-09-16 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-MIG-2011-09-16 (Economics of Human Migration)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Javier Alonso & Jasmina Bjeletic & Soledad Hormazabal & Carolina Romero & Carlos Herrera & Ivonne Ordonez & David Tuesta, 2009. "Proyecciones del impacto de los fondos de pensiones en la inversion en infraestructura y el crecimiento en Latinoamerica," Working Papers 0921, BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department.
- Angel de la Fuente & Jose E. Bosca, 2011.
"Gasto educativo por regiones y niveles en 2005,"
1119, BBVA Bank, Economic Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (MARIA VICTORIA ESCOLAR POLO).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.