TIME-Konvergenz - Einige Ueberlegungen aus volkswirtschaftlicher Sicht
AbstractDriven by digitalization, convergence within the telecommunication and media sector is not only a today's phenomena, but will even become more important in the future. One of the most important dimensions of convergence is vertical integration, i.e. the merging of formerly independent firms along the value chain. Analyzing the economic aspects of vertical integration in the media and telecommunication sector, it is argued in this paper that convergence is clearly positive for the merging firms themselves. However, from the consumer perspective, there are positive as well as negative effects which do not allow for an unambiguous conclusion about convergence. The expected decrease in market prices due to a vanishing double monopoly markup is in favor of the demand side. On the other side, a vertical integrated firm will probably be able to foreclosure the access to the consumers against upstream firms (e.g. content producers), thus reducing the variety of media content. In the long run, this negative effect on product differentiation may even be strengthened by building up strategic entry barriers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics in its series Discussion Paper Series with number 234.
Date of creation: Jan 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Universitaetsstrasse 16, D-86159 Augsburg, Germany
Phone: +49 821 598 4060
Fax: +49 821 598 4217
Web page: http://www.wiwi.uni-augsburg.de/vwl/institut
More information through EDIRC
Digitalisierung; vertikale Integration; doppelte Marginalisierung; vertikaler Ausschluss; Vielfalt; Medien; Telekommunikation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
- L86 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Information and Internet Services; Computer Software
- L96 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Telecommunications
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-01-05 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Salant, Stephen W & Switzer, Sheldon & Reynolds, Robert J, 1983. "Losses from Horizontal Merger: The Effects of an Exogenous Change in Industry Structure on Cournot-Nash Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 98(2), pages 185-99, May.
- Economides, Nicholas, 1996.
"The economics of networks,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 673-699, October.
- J. Yannis Bakos, 1997. "Reducing Buyer Search Costs: Implications for Electronic Marketplaces," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(12), pages 1676-1692, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr. Albrecht Bossert).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.