Smooth Nonparametric Bernstein Vine Copulas
AbstractWe propose to use nonparametric Bernstein copulas as bivariate pair-copulas in high-dimensional vine models. The resulting smooth and nonparametric vine copulas completely obviate the error-prone need for choosing the pair-copulas from parametric copula families. By means of a simulation study and an empirical analysis of financial market data, we show that our proposed smooth nonparametric vine copula model is superior to competing parametric vine models calibrated via Akaike's Information Criterion.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 1210.2043.
Date of creation: Oct 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kole, Erik & Koedijk, Kees & Verbeek, Marno, 2007.
"Selecting copulas for risk management,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 31(8), pages 2405-2423, August.
- Genest, Christian & Rémillard, Bruno & Beaudoin, David, 2009. "Goodness-of-fit tests for copulas: A review and a power study," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 199-213, April.
- Ye, Wuyi & Liu, Xiaoquan & Miao, Baiqi, 2012. "Measuring the subprime crisis contagion: Evidence of change point analysis of copula functions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 222(1), pages 96-103.
- Grundke, Peter & Polle, Simone, 2012. "Crisis and risk dependencies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 223(2), pages 518-528.
- Diers, Dorothea & Eling, Martin & Marek, Sebastian D., 2012. "Dependence modeling in non-life insurance using the Bernstein copula," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 430-436.
- Sancetta, Alessio & Satchell, Stephen, 2004. "The Bernstein Copula And Its Applications To Modeling And Approximations Of Multivariate Distributions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(03), pages 535-562, June.
- Chan, Joshua C.C. & Kroese, Dirk P., 2010. "Efficient estimation of large portfolio loss probabilities in t-copula models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 205(2), pages 361-367, September.
- Juan Carlos Escanciano & Pei Pei, 2012.
"Pitfalls in Backtesting Historical Simulation VaR Models,"
Caepr Working Papers
2012-003, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
- Escanciano, Juan Carlos & Pei, Pei, 2012. "Pitfalls in backtesting Historical Simulation VaR models," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 2233-2244.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.