Evaluating Value-at-Risk models with desk-level data
AbstractWe present new evidence on disaggregated profit and loss and VaR forecasts obtained from a large international commercial bank. Our dataset includes daily P/L generated by four separate business lines within the bank. All four business lines are involved in securities trading and each is observed daily for a period of at least two years. Given this rich dataset, we provide an integrated, unifying framework for assessing the accuracy of VaR forecasts. A thorough Monte Carlo comparison of the various methods is conducted to provide guidance as to which of these many tests have the best finite-sample size and power properties. The Caviar test of Engle and Manganelli (2004) performs best overall but duration-based tests also perform well in many cases.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by North Carolina State University, Department of Economics in its series Working Paper Series with number 010.
Length: 32 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2005
Date of revision: Dec 2006
risk management; backtesting; volatility; disclosure;
Other versions of this item:
- Jeremy Berkowitz & Peter Christoffersen & Denis Pelletier, 2011. "Evaluating Value-at-Risk Models with Desk-Level Data," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 57(12), pages 2213-2227, December.
- Peter Christoffersen & Jeremy Berkowitz & Denis Pelletier, 2008. "Evaluating Value-at-Risk Models with Desk-Level Data," CREATES Research Papers 2009-35, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-01-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2007-01-13 (Banking)
- NEP-ECM-2007-01-13 (Econometrics)
- NEP-FOR-2007-01-13 (Forecasting)
- NEP-RMG-2007-01-13 (Risk Management)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sylvain Benoit & Christophe Hurlin & Christophe Pérignon, 2013. "Implied Risk Exposures," Working Papers halshs-00836280, HAL.
- Chen, Cathy W.S. & Gerlach, Richard & Hwang, Bruce B.K. & McAleer, Michael, 2012.
"Forecasting Value-at-Risk using nonlinear regression quantiles and the intra-day range,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 557-574.
- Chen, C.W.S. & Gerlach, R. & Hwang, B.B.K. & McAleer, M.J., 2011. "Forecasting Value-at-Risk Using Nonlinear Regression Quantiles and the Intraday Range," Econometric Institute Report EI 2011-17, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Econometric Institute.
- Cathy W. S. Chen & Richard Gerlach & Bruce B. K. Hwang & Michael McAleer, 2011. "Forecasting Value-at-Risk Using Nonlinear Regression Quantiles and the Intra-day Range," Working Papers in Economics 11/22, University of Canterbury, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Cathy W. S. Chen & Richard Gerlach & Bruce B. K. Hwang & Michael McAleer, 2011. "Forecasting Value-at-Risk Using Nonlinear Regression Quantiles and the Intra-day Range," Documentos del Instituto Complutense de AnÃ¡lisis EconÃ³mico 2011-16, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
- Cathy W. S. Chen & Richard Gerlach & Bruce B. K. Hwang & Michael McAleer, 2011. "Forecasting Value-at-Risk Using Nonlinear Regression Quantiles and the Intra-day Range," KIER Working Papers 775, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Krenar Avdulaj & Jozef Barunik, 2013. "Can we still benefit from international diversification? The case of the Czech and German stock markets," Papers 1308.6120, arXiv.org, revised Sep 2013.
- Juan Carlos Escanciano & Carlos Velasco, 2008.
"Specification Tests of Parametric Dynamic Conditional Quantiles,"
Caepr Working Papers
2008-021, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
- Escanciano, Juan Carlos & Velasco, Carlos, 2010. "Specification tests of parametric dynamic conditional quantiles," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 159(1), pages 209-221, November.
- J. Carlos Escanciano & Carlos Velasco, 2010. "Specification tests of parametric dynamic conditional quantiles," Post-Print peer-00732534, HAL.
- Bertrand Candelon & Marc Joëts & Sessi Tokpavi, 2012. "Testing for crude oil markets globalization during extreme price movements," EconomiX Working Papers 2012-28, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Dumitrescu, Elena-Ivona, 2012. "Econometric methods for financial crises," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-29274, Maastricht University.
- Christian Gouriéroux & Jean-Michel Zakoian, 2012.
"Estimation Adjusted VaR,"
2012-16, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Ales Kresta & Tomas Tichy, 2012. "International Equity Portfolio Risk Modeling: The Case of the NIG Model and Ordinary Copula Functions," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 62(2), pages 141-161, May.
- Juan Carlos Escanciano & Pei Pei, 2012.
"Pitfalls in Backtesting Historical Simulation VaR Models,"
Caepr Working Papers
2012-003, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
- Escanciano, Juan Carlos & Pei, Pei, 2012. "Pitfalls in backtesting Historical Simulation VaR models," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 2233-2244.
- Krenar Avdulaj & Jozef Barunik, 2013. "Are benefits from oil - stocks diversification gone? A new evidence from a dynamic copulas and high frequency data," Papers 1307.5981, arXiv.org.
- Filip Zikes & Jozef Barunik, 2013. "Semiparametric Conditional Quantile Models for Financial Returns and Realized Volatility," Papers 1308.4276, arXiv.org.
- repec:syb:wpbsba:01/2012 is not listed on IDEAS
- Elena‐Ivona Dumitrescu & Christophe Hurlin & Jaouad Madkour, 2013.
"Testing Interval Forecasts: A GMM‐Based Approach,"
Journal of Forecasting,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 32(2), pages 97-110, 03.
- El Bouhadi, Abdelhamid & Achibane, Khalid, 2009. "The Predictive Power of Conditional Models: What Lessons to Draw with Financial Crisis in the Case of Pre-Emerging Capital Markets?," MPRA Paper 19482, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Theofanis Tsoulouhas) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Theofanis Tsoulouhas to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.