Stability of utility-maximization in incomplete markets
AbstractThe effectiveness of utility-maximization techniques for portfolio management relies on our ability to estimate correctly the parameters of the dynamics of the underlying financial assets. In the setting of complete or incomplete financial markets, we investigate whether small perturbations of the market coefficient processes lead to small changes in the agent's optimal behavior derived from the solution of the related utility-maximization problems. Specifically, we identify the topologies on the parameter process space and the solution space under which utility-maximization is a continuous operation, and we provide a counterexample showing that our results are best possible, in a certain sense. A novel result about the structure of the solution of the utility-maximization problem where prices are modeled by continuous semimartingales is established as an offshoot of the proof of our central theorem.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arXiv.org in its series Papers with number 0706.0474.
Date of creation: Jun 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://arxiv.org/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Freddy Delbaen & Walter Schachermayer, 1998. "A Simple Counterexample to Several Problems in the Theory of Asset Pricing," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(1), pages 1-11.
- Friedrich Hubalek & Walter Schachermayer, 1998. "When Does Convergence of Asset Price Processes Imply Convergence of Option Prices?," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(4), pages 385-403.
- Elyès Jouini & Clotilde Napp, 2004.
"Convergence of utility functions and convergence of optimal strategies,"
Finance and Stochastics,
Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 133-144, January.
- Clotilde Napp & Elyès Jouini, 2004. "Convergence of utility functions and convergence of optimal strategies," Post-Print halshs-00151579, HAL.
- Kasper Larsen & Hang Yu, 2012. "Horizon dependence of utility optimizers in incomplete models," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 16(4), pages 779-801, October.
- Markus Mocha & Nicholas Westray, 2011. "The Stability of the Constrained Utility Maximization Problem - A BSDE Approach," Papers 1107.0190, arXiv.org.
- Michail Anthropelos & Gordan Zitkovic, 2009. "Partial Equilibria with Convex Capital Requirements: Existence, Uniqueness and Stability," Papers 0901.3318, arXiv.org.
- Erhan Bayraktar & Ross Kravitz, 2011.
"Stability of exponential utility maximization with respect to market perturbations,"
1107.2716, arXiv.org, revised Dec 2012.
- Bayraktar, Erhan & Kravitz, Ross, 2013. "Stability of exponential utility maximization with respect to market perturbations," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 123(5), pages 1671-1690.
- Michail Anthropelos & Gordan Žitković, 2010. "Partial equilibria with convex capital requirements: existence, uniqueness and stability," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 107-135, January.
- Gordan Zitkovic, 2009. "An example of a stochastic equilibrium with incomplete markets," Papers 0906.0208, arXiv.org, revised Jun 2010.
- Paolo Guasoni & Constantinos Kardaras & Scott Robertson & Hao Xing, 2014. "Abstract, classic, and explicit turnpikes," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 75-114, January.
- Kardaras, Constantinos, 2010. "The continuous behavior of the numéraire portfolio under small changes in information structure, probabilistic views and investment constraints," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 120(3), pages 331-347, March.
- Horst, Ulrich & Hu, Ying & Imkeller, Peter & Réveillac, Anthony & Zhang, Jianing, 2014.
"Forward–backward systems for expected utility maximization,"
Stochastic Processes and their Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 124(5), pages 1813-1848.
- Ulrich Horst & Ying Hu & Peter Imkeller & Anthony Reveillac, 2011. "Forward-backward systems for expected utility maximization," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2011-061, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Constantinos Kardaras, 2008. "The continuous behavior of the numeraire portfolio under small changes in information structure, probabilistic views and investment constraints," Papers 0804.2912, arXiv.org, revised Nov 2009.
- Pietro Siorpaes, 2013. "Optimal investment and price dependence in a semi-static market," Papers 1303.0237, arXiv.org, revised Oct 2013.
- Gordan Žitković, 2012. "An example of a stochastic equilibrium with incomplete markets," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 177-206, April.
- Christoph Frei & Markus Mocha & Nicholas Westray, 2011. "BSDEs in Utility Maximization with BMO Market Price of Risk," Papers 1107.0183, arXiv.org, revised Feb 2012.
- Frei, Christoph & Mocha, Markus & Westray, Nicholas, 2012. "BSDEs in utility maximization with BMO market price of risk," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 122(6), pages 2486-2519.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.