Cost Structures, Productivities and the Distribution of Technology Benefits Among Producers for Major U.S. Field Crops
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to estimate the cost structures and resource productivities involved in production of four major U.S. field crops and to estimate the distribution among producers of benefits from production related technology. These field crops include corn, soybeans, wheat and cotton grown in selected homogeneous soil and rainfall areas of the U.S. The cost structure of each commodity is estimated relative to a Cobb-Douglas cost function. Productivity is assessed across time, regions and size of enterprise. The distribution of technology benefits is determined by region and enterprise size for each commodity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Minnesota, Agricultural Experiment Station in its series Evaluating Agricultural Research and Productivity, Proceedings of a Workshop, Atlanta, Georgia, January 29-30, 1987, Miscellaneous Publication 52 with number 50020.
Date of creation: 1987
Date of revision:
Crop Production/Industries; Productivity Analysis; Research and Development/Tech Change/Emerging Technologies;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zvi Griliches, 1958. "Research Costs and Social Returns: Hybrid Corn and Related Innovations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 419.
- George, P.S. & King, Gordon A., 1971. "Consumer Demand for Food Commodities in the United States with Projections for 1980," Monographs, University of California, Davis, Giannini Foundation, number 11936.
- Duncan, R & Tisdell, Clem, 1971. "Research and Technical Progress: The Returns to Producers," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 47(117), pages 124-29, March.
- Chan, M W Luke & Mountain, Dean C, 1983. "Economies of Scale and the Tornqvist Discrete Measure of Productivity Growth," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 65(4), pages 663-67, November.
- Ruttan, Vernon W., 1989. "Views And Reviews: 1983-1988," Staff Papers 13579, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Ruttan, Vernon W., 1988. "Scale, Size, Technology And Structure: A Personal Perspective," Staff Papers 13832, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.