Intergenerational Management Transfers in Family Farm Businesses
AbstractFamily farm management is often transferred separately from farm ownership. This article determines the impact of variables affecting management transfer decisions. Agricultural Resource Management Survey data are used to investigate variable impacts. Results indicate operator demographics, business planning practices, and value of farm and non-farm assets impact management transfer decisions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Southern Agricultural Economics Association in its series 2013 Annual Meeting, February 2-5, 2013, Orlando, Florida with number 142731.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
family farm succession; intergenerational transfer; ARMS; Agribusiness; Farm Management; Q10; Q12;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q10 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - General
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2013-02-16 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2013-02-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2013-02-16 (Business Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary S. Becker, 1974.
"A Theory of Social Interactions,"
NBER Working Papers
0042, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cox, Donald & Rank, Mark R, 1992. "Inter-vivos Transfers and Intergenerational Exchange," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(2), pages 305-14, May.
- Mishra, Ashok K. & El-Osta, Hisham S. & Shaik, Saleem, 2010. "Succession Decisions in U.S. Family Farm Businesses," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 35(1), April.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Summers, Lawrence H. & Bernheim, B. Douglas, 1986.
"The Strategic Bequest Motive,"
3721794, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Bernheim, B Douglas & Shleifer, Andrei & Summers, Lawrence H, 1985. "The Strategic Bequest Motive," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(6), pages 1045-76, December.
- Bernheim, B Douglas & Shleifer, Andrei & Summers, Lawrence H, 1986. "The Strategic Bequest Motive," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 4(3), pages S151-82, July.
- Cox, Donald, 1987. "Motives for Private Income Transfers," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(3), pages 508-46, June.
- Pesquin, Claudio & Kimhi, Ayal & Kislev, Yoav, 1999. "Old Age Security and Inter-Generational Transfer of Family Farms," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 26(1), pages 19-37, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.