Corporate Governance in Developing Economies: Perspective from the Banking Sector in Bangladesh
AbstractThis paper highlights the corporate governance of financial institutions with particular reference to banking sector of Bangladesh. The importance of corporate governance of banks remains crucial given their contribution in economic growth through financial development. This paper has shed light on the structures of corporate governance of banks in Bangladesh involving their ownership structure, board issues, executive aspects, disclosure, and audit practices along with their associated weaknesses. The paper has also showed how political interference and failure by the regulators has contributed to the governance problems in the banks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Manchester, Institute for Development Policy and Management (IDPM) in its series Development Economics and Public Policy Working Papers with number 30545.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Harold Hankins Building, Precinct Centre, Booth Street West, Manchester, M13 9QH
Web page: http://www.sed.manchester.ac.uk/idpm
More information through EDIRC
Bangladesh; banking; Financial Economics; International Development;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles P. Oman, 2001. "Corporate Governance and National Development," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 180, OECD Publishing.
- Arun, Thankom G. & Turner, John David, 2003.
"Corporate Governance of Banks in Developing Economies: Concepts and Issues,"
Development Economics and Public Policy Working Papers
30551, University of Manchester, Institute for Development Policy and Management (IDPM).
- T. G. Arun & J. D. Turner, 2004. "Corporate Governance of Banks in Developing Economies: concepts and issues," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 371-377, 07.
- McConnell, John J. & Servaes, Henri, 1990. "Additional evidence on equity ownership and corporate value," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 595-612, October.
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Separation of Ownership and Control," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 301-25, June.
- Nicola Cetorelli, 2001.
"Banking Market Structure, Financial Dependence and Growth: International Evidence from Industry Data,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 56(2), pages 617-648, 04.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Michele Gambera, 1999. "Banking market structure, financial dependence and growth: international evidence from industry data," Working Paper Series WP-99-8, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Nicola Cetorelli & Michele Gambera, 1999. "Banking Market Structure, Financial Dependence and Growth: International Evidence from Industry Data," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 00-19, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Adalbert Winkler, 1998. "Financial Development, Economic Growth and Corporate Governance," Working Paper Series: Finance and Accounting 12, Department of Finance, Goethe University Frankfurt am Main.
- Singh, Ajit & Singh, Alaka & Weisse, Bruce, 2002.
"Corporate Governance, Competetion, The new International Financial Architecture and Large Corporations in Emerging Markets,"
24305, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ajit Singh & Bruce Weisse & Alaka Singh, 2002. "Corporate governance, competition, the new international financial architecture and large corporations in emerging markets," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp250, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Singh, Ajit & Singh, Alaka & Weisse, Bruce, 2002. "Corporate governance, competition, the new international financial architecture and large corporations in emerging markets," MPRA Paper 53665, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1996.
"A Survey of Corporate Governance,"
NBER Working Papers
5554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1995. "A Survey of Corporate Governance," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1741, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Mia Rahim & Shawkat Alam, 2014. "Convergence of Corporate Social Responsibility and Corporate Governance in Weak Economies: The case of Bangladesh," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 121(4), pages 607-620, June.
- Arifur Khan & Mohammad Muttakin & Javed Siddiqui, 2013. "Corporate Governance and Corporate Social Responsibility Disclosures: Evidence from an Emerging Economy," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 114(2), pages 207-223, May.
- Javed Siddiqui, 2010. "Development of Corporate Governance Regulations: The Case of an Emerging Economy," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 91(2), pages 253-274, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.