Causes and Consequences of Food Retailing Innovation in Developing Countries: Supermarkets in Vietnam
AbstractI examine the modernization of food retailing in developing economies, focusing on the early stages of retail modernization in Vietnam. This modernization represents innovation that is sought by the host country and that depends on knowledge transfer. Retail modernization has profound effects on the host country and its food system. Innovation at the consumption (retail) end of the food supply chain warrants attention similar to that devoted to knowledge transfer at the production (farming) end of the chain.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management in its series Working Papers with number 127310.
Date of creation: Aug 2002
Date of revision:
Economic Development; Food Retailing; Innovation; Vietnam; Agribusiness; Consumer/Household Economics; F23; L66; L81; O00; O31;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- L66 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Food; Beverages; Cosmetics; Tobacco
- L81 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Retail and Wholesale Trade; e-Commerce
- O00 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - General - - - General
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Figui, Muriel & Moustier, Paule, 2009. "Market appeal in an emerging economy: Supermarkets and poor consumers in Vietnam," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 210-217, April.
- Moustier, Paule & Tam, Phan Thi Giac & Anh, Dao The & Binh, Vu Trong & Loc, Nguyen Thi Tan, 2010. "The role of farmer organizations in supplying supermarkets with quality food in Vietnam," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 69-78, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.