An analysis of the bottlenecks affecting the production and deployment of maize seed in Eastern and Southern Africa
AbstractThe publication describes outcomes of a study conducted in 2007/08 to analyze the bottlenecks affecting the production and deployment of maize seed in eastern and southern Africa. The objectives of the study were to provide a better understanding of the factors limiting the production and deployment of improved maize seed in Africa, and to contribute to increasing the efficiency of variety release, seed production and seed dissemination for new drought tolerant maize varieties. The study identified a number of institutional bottlenecks affecting the maize seed value chain, in particular in the area of policy, credit availability, seed production, germplasm and marketing. To address these bottlenecks and improve the efficiency of seed production and deployment to African farmers, the authors recommended a coordinated effort from policy makers, private and public organizations and farmers. The study was supported by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the Howard G. Buffett Foundation
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CIMMYT: International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center in its series Economics Program Papers with number 56189.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Seed production; Seed industry; Commodity markets; Marketing; Maize; Zea mays; Agricultural products; Yields; Crop yield; Crop Production/Industries; E10; E16; E21; E70; F03;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E10 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - General
- E16 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Social Accounting Matrix
- E21 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Consumption; Saving; Wealth
- E70 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - - - -
- F03 - International Economics - - General - - -
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ferroni, Marco, 2009. "Can Private Sector R&D Reach Small Farms?," Conference Proceedings 2009 125180, Crawford Fund.
- Spielman, David J. & Byerlee, Derek & Alemu, Dawit & Kelemework, Dawit, 2010. "Policies to promote cereal intensification in Ethiopia: The search for appropriate public and private roles," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 185-194, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.