Do farmers provide agri-environmental services efficiently? An economic analysis
AbstractAgricultural land use does not only concern farmers, but also has a large number of social and environmental effects. Consequently, it is to be assumed that farmers have to use financial resources as well as labour in order to provide these services. Using the nonparametric method of Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA), we calculated the economic as well as the ecological efficiencies of farms and examined whether farms are able to succeed in combining ecological and economic efficiency. In addition to this analysis, we studied the driving factors of the respective efficiencies. The study was carried out in four typical production regions in Bavaria which vary in their proportions of grassland as well as their yield potential; thus, the study regions reflect a gradient of agricultural land use which is typical for Southern Germany. In all regions, a farm survey was conducted covering a total of 122 farmers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Agricultural Economics Society in its series 81st Annual Conference, April 2-4, 2007, Reading University with number 7973.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
agricultural land use; data envelopment analysis; ecological efficiency; economic efficiency; Environmental Economics and Policy;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2008-10-21 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2008-10-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2008-10-21 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-ENV-2008-10-21 (Environmental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reinhard, Stijn & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Thijssen, Geert J., 2000. "Environmental efficiency with multiple environmentally detrimental variables; estimated with SFA and DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 121(2), pages 287-303, March.
- Reig-Martinez, Ernest & Picazo-Tadeo, Andres J., 2004. "Analysing farming systems with Data Envelopment Analysis: citrus farming in Spain," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 17-30, October.
- Kapfer, Martin & Kantelhardt, Jochen & Osinski, Elisabeth, 2003. "Estimation Of Costs For Maintaining Landscape Elements By The Example Of Southwest Germany," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25923, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.