Issues in evaluating generic promotion in the food chain
AbstractSome issues in the evaluation of generic promotion have received relatively little attention. The agricultural economics literature on brand versus generic advertising is often simple empirically and has not related well to the burgeoning marketing literature on brand/private label strategies. Conversely, that literature does not often consider the implication of the strategies for any but consumers, processors and retailers. Thus, there is a significant gap in terms of branding strategy implications for farmers, in spite of the fact that many farm groups and co-operatives feel that this should be their main marketing goal. This issue becomes more relevant for exporting countries such as Australia given the requirement for country-of-origin labelling in the most recent US Farm Bill. In this paper we review the generic promotion literature, develop a conceptual framework for examining some of the issues of generic and brand advertising in agricultural industries, and provide an example using a simple synthetic model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society in its series 2003 Conference (47th), February 12-14, 2003, Fremantle, Australia with number 57871.
Date of creation: Feb 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: AARES Central Office Manager, Crawford School of Public Policy, ANU, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
generic promotion; brand promotion; private label; market power; Agribusiness; Marketing;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Becker, Gary S & Murphy, Kevin M, 1993. "A Simple Theory of Advertising as a Good or Bad," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 108(4), pages 941-64, November.
- Henry W. Kinnucan & Cynda R. Clary, 1995. "Brand versus generic advertising: A conceptual framework with an application to cheese," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(4), pages 355-369.
- Lambin, Jean-Jacques & Naert, Philippe A. & Bultez, Alain, 1975. "Optimal marketing behavior in oligopoly," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 105-128, April.
- Ronald W. Cotterill, 2001. "Neoclassical explanations of vertical organization and performance of food Industries," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(1), pages 33-57.
- Zhang, Mingxia & Sexton, Richard J. & Alston, Julian M., 1999.
"Does Branded Food Product Advertising Help Or Hurt Farmers?,"
1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN
21582, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Zhang, Mingxia & Sexton, Richard J. & Alston, Julian M., 2002. "Does Branded Food Product Advertising Help Or Hurt Farmers?," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(02), December.
- Putsis, William Jr. & Dhar, Ravi, 2001. "An empirical analysis of the determinants of category expenditure," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 52(3), pages 277-291, June.
- Julian M. Alston & John W. Freebairn & Jennifer S. James, 2001. "Beggar-Thy-Neighbor Advertising: Theory and Application to Generic Commodity Promotion Programs," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(4), pages 888-902.
- Eugene Jones & Ronald W. Ward, 1989. "Effectiveness of generic and brand advertising on fresh and processed potato products," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(5), pages 523-536.
- Nicholas J. Powers, 1989. "A study of demand response to grocery advertising of fresh California-Arizona navel oranges," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(5), pages 423-435.
- Naufel J. Vilcassim & Vrinda Kadiyali & Pradeep K. Chintagunta, 1999. "Investigating Dynamic Multifirm Market Interactions in Price and Advertising," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(4), pages 499-518, April.
- Mills, David E, 1995. "Why Retailers Sell Private Labels," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(3), pages 509-28, Fall.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.