Farm Level Effects of Counter-Cyclical Payments
AbstractThe paper analyzes the role of counter-cyclical (CC) payments in stabilizing farm incomes and investigates whether the payments could affect farmers planting decisions. Our analysis, based on representative farmer approach, finds that CC payments provide a relatively modest enhancement to farm welfare. However, much depends on market price conditions, which change from year to year, and on base acreage (which is determined by planting history). The paper finds little evidence of interaction between revenue insurance and CC payments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) in its series 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI with number 19508.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Agricultural and Food Policy;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard E. Just & Linda Calvin & John Quiggin, 1999. "Adverse Selection in Crop Insurance: Actuarial and Asymmetric Information Incentives," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(4), pages 834-849.
- Shogren, Jason F. & Dohlman, Erik & Chambers, William, 2003. "Behavioral Implications Of Counter-Cyclical Payments And Base Acreage Updating Under The 2002 Farm Act," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 21937, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Anton, Jesus & Le Mouel, Chantal, 2003. "Do Counter-Cyclical Payments In The Fsri Act Create Incentives To Produce?," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25811, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Richard E. Just & Quinn Weninger, 1999.
"Are Crop Yields Normally Distributed?,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(2), pages 287-304.
- Bhaskar, Arathi & Beghin, John C., 2007.
"How Coupled Are Decoupled Farm Payments? A Review of the Evidence,"
Staff General Research Papers
12841, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Bhaskar, Arathi & Beghin, John C., 2009. "How Coupled Are Decoupled Farm Payments? A Review of the Evidence," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(1), April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.