Retail Oligopoly Power And Fluid Milk Prices In Boston
AbstractThis paper assesses the independent and joint impacts of oligopoly power of market intermediaries and the Northeast Dairy Compact (NEDC) on fluid milk prices in Boston. Empirical results reveal that price increases due to oligopoly power far outweighed those caused by the NEDC by more than 10 times. In fact, markups are estimated at approximately 33% of the retail milk price, translating into approximately $1/gallon overcharge at 2002 milk prices averaging around $3/gallon.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) in its series 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada with number 22107.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Demand and Price Analysis;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1974. "The nonlinear two-stage least-squares estimator," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 105-110, July.
- repec:agl:nearer:v:30:y:2001:i:1:p:83-92 is not listed on IDEAS
- Appelbaum, Elie, 1982. "The estimation of the degree of oligopoly power," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 287-299, August.
- Lass, Daniel A. & Adanu, Mawunyo & Allen, P. Geoffrey, 2001. "Impacts Of The Northeast Dairy Compact On New England Retail Prices," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 30(1), April.
- Lopez, Rigoberto A. & Altobello, Marilyn A. & Shah, Farhed A., 1994. "Amenity Benefits And Public Policy: An Application To The Connecticut Dairy Sector," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(02), December.
- Alessandro Bonanno & Rigoberto A. Lopez, 2004.
"Private Labels, Retail Configuration, and Fluid Milk Prices,"
Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports
082, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Bonanno, Alessandro & Lopez, Rigoberto A., 2004. "Private Labels, Retail Configuration, and Fluid Milk Prices," Research Reports 25222, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Bonanno Alessandro & Lopez Rigoberto A., 2005. "Private Label Expansion and Supermarket Milk Prices," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 3(1), pages 1-18, February.
- Sckokai, Paolo & Soregaroli, Claudio & Moro, Daniele, 2009. "Estimating Market Power By Retailers In The Italian Parmigiano Reggiano And Grana Padano Cheese Market," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51425, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.