Impact Of Vertical Mergers On Food Industry Profitability: An Empirical Evaluation
AbstractVertical integration is an important business strategy among firms in the U.S. food industries. Our objective is to test one of the perceived benefits of vertical integration - improved profitability of the integrated firm. Findings show that increased vertical mergers in food industries would lower profits.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association) in its series 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL with number 20469.
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
vertical integration; mergers; market performance; industry profitability; Agribusiness; Industrial Organization;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Caves, Richard E. & Bradburd, Ralph M., 1988. "The empirical determinants of vertical integration," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 265-279, April.
- Perry, Martin K., 1989. "Vertical integration: Determinants and effects," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 4, pages 183-255 Elsevier.
- Rosengren, Eric S & Meehan, James W, Jr, 1994.
"Empirical Evidence on Vertical Foreclosure,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 32(2), pages 303-17, April.
- Tucker, Irvin B & Wilder, Ronald P, 1977. "Trends in Vertical Integration in the U.S. Manufacturing Sector," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(1), pages 81-94, September.
- R. Preston McAfee, 1999. "The effects of vertical integration on competing input suppliers," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, issue Q I, pages 2-8.
- Klein, Benjamin & Crawford, Robert G & Alchian, Armen A, 1978. "Vertical Integration, Appropriable Rents, and the Competitive Contracting Process," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(2), pages 297-326, October.
- M. A. Adelman, 1955. "Concept and Statistical Measurement of Vertical Integration," NBER Chapters, in: Business Concentration and Price Policy, pages 281-330 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ghemawat, Pankaj & Caves, Richard E, 1986. "Capital Commitment and Profitability: An Empirical Investigation," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 38(0), pages 94-110, Suppl. No.
- Ian Domowitz & R. Glenn Hubbard & Bruce C. Petersen, 1986. "Business Cycles and the Relationship Between Concentration and Price-Cost Margins," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 17(1), pages 1-17, Spring.
- Waterman, David & Weiss, Andrew A., 1996. "The effects of vertical integration between cable television systems and pay cable networks," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1-2), pages 357-395.
- Esposito, Louis & Esposito, Frances Ferguson, 1971. "Foreign Competition and Domestic Industry Profitability," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 53(4), pages 343-53, November.
- McBride, Mark E, 1983. "Spatial Competition and Vertical Integration: Cement and Concrete Revisited," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(5), pages 1011-22, December.
- Azzeddine Azzam, 1996. "Testing the Monopsony-Inefficiency Incentive for Backward Integration," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(3), pages 585-590.
- Maddigan, Ruth J, 1981. "The Measurement of Vertical Integration," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(3), pages 328-35, August.
- Levy, David T, 1985. "The Transactions Cost Approach to Vertical Integration: An Empirical Examination," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(3), pages 438-45, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.