Power Generation and Cross-border Grid Planning for the Integrated ASEAN Electricity Market: A Dynamic Linear Programming Model
AbstractThe central question raised in this study is how to meet the growing power demand in ASEAN countries in the next two decades. Uneven distribution of energy resources and uneven paces of economic development among ASEAN countries complicate the question. The ASEAN Power Grid (APG) that interconnects all ASEAN countries and enables cross-border power trade could potentially provide cost-saving solutions. This study builds a dynamic linear programming model and simulates optimal development paths of power generation capacities in ASEAN countries. Scenarios are built around the assumptions about the power trade policy regimes. It is found that more open power trade regime encourages more development of renewable sources of power generation, and accrues more savings in the total cost of meeting the growing future power demand from 2010 to 2030.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
This chapter was published in:
This item is provided by Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA) in its series Chapters with number 2011-rpr-17-03.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The ASEAN Secretariat Mezzanine Floor, 70A Jl.Sisingamangaraja, Jakarta 12110
Web page: http://www.eria.org/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Youngho Chang & Yanfei Li, . "Power Generation and Cross-border Grid Planning for the Integrated ASEAN Electricity Market: A Dynamic Linear Programming Model," Chapters, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yu, Xiaojiang, 2003. "Regional cooperation and energy development in the Greater Mekong Sub-region," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(12), pages 1221-1234, September.
- Watcharejyothin, Mayurachat & Shrestha, Ram M., 2009. "Effects of cross-border power trade between Laos and Thailand: Energy security and environmental implications," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1782-1792, May.
- Varun & Bhat, I.K. & Prakash, Ravi, 2009. "LCA of renewable energy for electricity generation systems--A review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 1067-1073, June.
- Chang, Youngho & Hin Tay, Tuan, 2006. "Efficiency and deregulation of the electricity market in Singapore," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(16), pages 2498-2508, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hiroshi Okasaki).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.