Economics of dental services
In: Handbook of Health Economics
AbstractThe purpose of this chapter is to review dental economics in three major areas: (i) demand for and utilisation of dental care, (ii) productivity, technical efficiency and economies of scale in dental care production, and finally (iii) economic evaluation of dental care procedures and programmes. As a background to the review, we consider what makes dental care different from other health care, describe briefly dental care systems in a number of countries and present data on inputs and outcomes in terms of dental health. Within each major area, we review developments in conceptual and theoretical thinking, consider developments in the measurement of key variables and methods, and present some major results. We also draw lessons to be learnt concerning the state of the art in terms of theory, methodology and results, and outline directions for future research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
This chapter was published in:
This item is provided by Elsevier in its series Handbook of Health Economics with number 1-24.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/bookseriesdescription.cws_home/BS_HE/description
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I1 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lien Nguyen & Unto Häkkinen & Matti Knuuttila & Marjo-Riitta Järvelin, 2008. "Should we brush twice a day? Determinants of dental health among young adults in Finland," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(2), pages 267-286.
- Tanya Wanchek & Terance J. Rephann & William Shobe, 2011. "Oral Health and the Dental Care Workforce in Southwest Virginia," Reports 2011-03, Center for Economic and Policy Studies.
- Shinya Sugawara & Yasuhiro Omori, 2012. "An Econometric Analysis of Insurance Markets with Separate Identification for Moral Hazard and Selection Problems," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-849, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- UŢĂ, Cristian, 2011. "Reform In The Dental Services Area In Romania – Objective Necessity Or Second Option," Annals of Spiru Haret University, Economic Series, Universitatea Spiru Haret, vol. 2(3), pages 105-111.
- Mazzanti, Giovanni Maria & Fiorentini, Gianluca, 2012. "Proposte per una revisione del finanziamento e dell’offerta dei servizi odontoiatrici in Italia. L’intervento pubblico e i fondi integrativi," AICCON Working Papers 100-2012, Associazione Italiana per la Cultura della Cooperazione e del Non Profit.
- Shinya Sugawara & Yasuhiro Omori, 2013. "An Econometric Analysis of Insurance Markets with Separate Identification for Moral Hazard and Selection," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-882, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Elamin H. Elbasha & Mark L. Messonnier, 2004. "Cost-effectiveness analysis and health care resource allocation: decision rules under variable returns to scale," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(1), pages 21-35.
- Lupi-Pegurier, Laurence & Clerc-Urmes, Isabelle & Abu-Zaineh, Mohammad & Paraponaris, Alain & Ventelou, Bruno, 2011. "Density of dental practitioners and access to dental care for the elderly: A multilevel analysis with a view on socio-economic inequality," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 103(2), pages 160-167.
- Terance J. Rephann & Tanya Wanchek, 2012. "Filling the Gaps: Dentist Disparities along the Rural Urban Continuum," Working Papers 2012-02, Center for Economic and Policy Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.