Economics of dental services
In: Handbook of Health Economics
AbstractThe purpose of this chapter is to review dental economics in three major areas: (i) demand for and utilisation of dental care, (ii) productivity, technical efficiency and economies of scale in dental care production, and finally (iii) economic evaluation of dental care procedures and programmes. As a background to the review, we consider what makes dental care different from other health care, describe briefly dental care systems in a number of countries and present data on inputs and outcomes in terms of dental health. Within each major area, we review developments in conceptual and theoretical thinking, consider developments in the measurement of key variables and methods, and present some major results. We also draw lessons to be learnt concerning the state of the art in terms of theory, methodology and results, and outline directions for future research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
This chapter was published in:
This item is provided by Elsevier in its series Handbook of Health Economics with number 1-24.
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/bookseriesdescription.cws_home/BS_HE/description
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I1 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tanya Wanchek & Terance J. Rephann & William Shobe, 2011. "Oral Health and the Dental Care Workforce in Southwest Virginia," Reports 2011-03, Center for Economic and Policy Studies.
- Mazzanti, Giovanni Maria & Fiorentini, Gianluca, 2012. "Proposte per una revisione del finanziamento e dell’offerta dei servizi odontoiatrici in Italia. L’intervento pubblico e i fondi integrativi," AICCON Working Papers 100-2012, Associazione Italiana per la Cultura della Cooperazione e del Non Profit.
- Lupi-Pegurier, Laurence & Clerc-Urmes, Isabelle & Abu-Zaineh, Mohammad & Paraponaris, Alain & Ventelou, Bruno, 2011. "Density of dental practitioners and access to dental care for the elderly: A multilevel analysis with a view on socio-economic inequality," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 103(2), pages 160-167.
- UŢĂ, Cristian, 2011. "Reform In The Dental Services Area In Romania – Objective Necessity Or Second Option," Annals of Spiru Haret University, Economic Series, Universitatea Spiru Haret, vol. 2(3), pages 105-111.
- Terance J. Rephann & Tanya Wanchek, 2012. "Filling the Gaps: Dentist Disparities along the Rural Urban Continuum," Working Papers 2012-02, Center for Economic and Policy Studies.
- Lien Nguyen & Unto Häkkinen & Matti Knuuttila & Marjo-Riitta Järvelin, 2008. "Should we brush twice a day? Determinants of dental health among young adults in Finland," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(2), pages 267-286.
- Elamin H. Elbasha & Mark L. Messonnier, 2004. "Cost-effectiveness analysis and health care resource allocation: decision rules under variable returns to scale," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(1), pages 21-35.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.