Money, Finance and Demography: The Consequences of Ageing
AbstractA significant ageing trend can be observed in Europe and in other parts of the world. Fertility is decreasing and life expectancy increasing. The impact of migration is growing. The book deals with the implications for financial markets of these demographic trends. Leading economists and financial experts from Europe and the United States evaluate the challenges to public pension systems and the private pension industry. Based on long-term projections of productivity and employment they look at potential growth in GDP per capita and implications for savings and wealth. Pension fund portfolio management is discussed together with the ability of capital markets to serve retirement-financing purposes. Fiscal as well as financial sustainability are analysed in depth. The roles of global imbalances and international capital movements are included. Most chapters also discuss policy implications - in particular with regard to how pension saving incentives and rules and incentives for retirement should be in order to ensure fiscal and financial sustainability. All contributions in the book are based on presentations at the 26th SUERF Colloquium on "Money, Finance and Demography - the Consequences of Ageing" held on 12-14 October, 2006 in Lisbon sponsored by Banco de Portugal and Millennium bcp and in cooperation with the Universidade Nova de Lisboa.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoThis book is provided by SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum in its series SUERF Colloquium Volumes with number 1 and published in 2007.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: SUERF c/o OeNB, Otto-Wagner-Platz 3, A-1090 Vienna, Austria
Phone: +43/1/404 20 7216
Fax: +43/1/404 20 7298
Web page: http://www.suerf.org
More information through EDIRC
Postal: SUERF c/o OeNB, Otto-Wagner-Platz 3, A-1090 Vienna, Austria
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Hauner, 2007.
"Aging: Some Pleasant Fiscal Arithmetic,"
International Advances in Economic Research,
Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 347-364, August.
- Buti, M. & Eijffinger, S.C.W. & Franco, D., 2003.
"Revisiting the Stability and Growth Pact: Grand Design or Internal Adjustment?,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-176184, Tilburg University.
- Buti, M. & Eijffinger, S.C.W. & Franco, D., 2003. "Revisiting the stability and growth pact: Grand design or internal adjustment?," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-152958, Tilburg University.
- Buti, Marco & Eijffinger, Sylvester C W & Franco, Daniele, 2003. "Revisiting the Stability and Growth Pact: Grand Design or Internal Adjustment?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3692, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marco Buti & Sylvester Eijffinger & Daniele Franco, 2003. "Revisiting the Stability and Growth Pact: grand design or internal adjustment?," European Economy - Economic Papers 180, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Productivity Commission, 2005. "Reform of Building Regulation," Others 0506007, EconWPA.
- André Sapir & Marco Buti, 1998. "Economic policy in EMU," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8078, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- מחקר - ביטוח לאומי, 2005. "Summary for 2004," Working Papers 31, National Insurance Institute of Israel.
- Franco, Daniele & Marino, Maria Rosaria & Zotteri, Stefania, 2004. "Pension Expenditure Projections, Pension Liabilities and European Union Fiscal Rules," Discussion Paper 231, Center for Intergenerational Studies, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Elena Flores & Gabriele Giudice & Alessandro Turrini, 2005. "The framework for fiscal policy in EMU: What future after five years of experience?," European Economy - Economic Papers 223, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Graziella Bertocchi & Marianna Brunetti & Costanza Torricelli, 2008.
"Marriage and Other Risky Assets: A Portfolio Approach,"
Department of Economics
0606, University of Modena and Reggio E., Faculty of Economics "Marco Biagi".
- Bertocchi, Graziella & Brunetti, Marianna & Torricelli, Costanza, 2011. "Marriage and other risky assets: A portfolio approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 2902-2915, November.
- Graziella Bertocchi & Marianna Brunetti & Costanza Torricelli, 2009. "Marriage and Other Risky Assets: A Portfolio Approach," Center for Economic Research (RECent) 030, University of Modena and Reggio E., Dept. of Economics.
- Bertocchi, Graziella & Brunetti, Marianna & Torricelli, Costanza, 2009. "Marriage and Other Risky Assets: A Portfolio Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 7162, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bertocchi, Graziella & Brunetti, Marianna & Torricelli, Costanza, 2009. "Marriage and Other Risky Assets: A Portfolio Approach," IZA Discussion Papers 3975, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Graziella Bertocchi & Marianna Brunetti & Costanza Torricelli, 2009. "Marriage and Other Risky Assets: A Portfolio Approach," CHILD Working Papers wp03_09, CHILD - Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic economics - ITALY.
- Schmitz, Stefan W., 2007. "Demographic Change, Bank Strategy and Financial Stability," Financial Stability Report, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 13.
- Axel H. Börsch-Supan, 2012. "Entitlement Reforms in Europe: Policy Mixes in the Current Pension Reform Process," NBER Chapters, in: Fiscal Policy after the Financial Crisis, pages 405-435 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marianna Brunetti & Costanza Torricelli, 2010. "Demographics and asset returns: does the dynamics of population ageing matter?," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 193-219, March.
- Axel H. Börsch-Supan, 2012. "Entitlement Reforms in Europe: Policy Mixes in the Current Pension Reform Process," NBER Working Papers 18009, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael Bailey).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.