Sustainable development: mapping different approaches
AbstractSustainable development, although a widely used phrase and idea, has many different meanings and therefore provokes many different responses. In broad terms, the concept of sustainable development is an attempt to combine growing concerns about a range of environmental issues with socio-economic issues. To aid understanding of these different policies this paper presents a classification and mapping of different trends of thought on sustainable development, their political and policy frameworks and their attitudes towards change and means of change. Sustainable development has the potential to address fundamental challenges for humanity, now and into the future. However, to do this, it needs more clarity of meaning, concentrating on sustainable livelihoods and well-being rather than well-having, and long term environmental sustainability, which requires a strong basis in principles that link the social and environmental to human equity. Copyright © 2005 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd and ERP Environment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Sustainable Development.
Volume (Year): 13 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1099-1719
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mellor, Mary, 1997. "Women, nature and the social construction of 'economic man'," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 129-140, February.
- Umberto Berardi, 2013. "Sustainability assessment of urban communities through rating systems," Environment, Development and Sustainability, Springer, vol. 15(6), pages 1573-1591, December.
- Ljiljana Kontic & Jovan Kontic, 2012. "Sustainability and Readiness for Change: Insights from a Banking Case Study in Serbia," The AMFITEATRU ECONOMIC journal, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 14(32), pages 537-548, June.
- Kesavan, Pushpangadan & Gangadhara, Murugan, 2008. "On the measurement of sustainability of rural water supply in India: A Supervaluationist–Degree Theory approach," MPRA Paper 8781, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tommaso Luzzati & Gianluca Gucciardi, 2012.
"Una classifica robusta della sostenibilità delle regioni italiane,"
2012/140, Dipartimento di Economia e Management (DEM), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy.
- Tommaso Luzzati & Gianluca Gucciardi, 2012. "Una classifica robusta della sostenibilità delle regioni italiane," Discussion Papers 2012/141, Dipartimento di Economia e Management (DEM), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy.
- Manso, José Ramos Pires & Behmiri, Niaz Bashiri, 2013. "Renewable Energy and Sustainable Development/Energía renovable y Desarrollo Sostenible," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 31, pages 7-34, Enero.
- Leßmann, Ortrud & Rauschmayer, Felix, 2012. "Re-conceptualising sustainable development on the basis of the capability approach: A model and its difficulties," UFZ Discussion Papers 03/2012, Helmholtz Centre for Environmental Research (UFZ), Division of Social Sciences (ÖKUS).
- Katie Williams & Carol Dair, 2007. "A framework of sustainable behaviours that can be enabled through the design of neighbourhood-scale developments," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(3), pages 160-173.
- Mert Bilgin, 2012. "The PEARL Model of Sustainable Development," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 107(1), pages 19-35, May.
- Markus J. Milne & Helen Tregidga & Sara Walton, 2009. "Words not actions! The ideological role of sustainable development reporting," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 22(8), pages 1211-1257, November.
- Kazi Abdur Rouf, 2011. "Green microfinance promoting green enterprise development," E3 Journal of Business Management and Economics., E3 Journals, vol. 2(5), pages 183-191.
- Kazi Abdur Rouf, 2012. "Green microfinance promoting green enterprise development," Humanomics: The International Journal of Systems and Ethics, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 28(2), pages 148-161, May.
- Frame, Bob & Brown, Judy, 2008. "Developing post-normal technologies for sustainability," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 225-241, April.
- Martínez-Alier, Joan & Pascual, Unai & Vivien, Franck-Dominique & Zaccai, Edwin, 2010. "Sustainable de-growth: Mapping the context, criticisms and future prospects of an emergent paradigm," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(9), pages 1741-1747, July.
- Reinhard Steurer, 2010. "The role of governments in corporate social responsibility: characterising public policies on CSR in Europe," Policy Sciences, Springer, vol. 43(1), pages 49-72, March.
- Mei-Fang Fan, 2009. "Stakeholder perceptions and responses to GM crops and foods: the case of Taiwan," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(6), pages 391-399.
- Jamey Essex, 2010. "Sustainability, Food Security, and Development Aid after the Food Crisis: Assessing Aid Strategies across Donor Contexts," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 2(11), pages 3354-3382, October.
- Erling Holden & Kristin Linnerud, 2007. "The sustainable development area: satisfying basic needs and safeguarding ecological sustainability," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(3), pages 174-187.
- Julien Vanhulst & Adrian E. Beling, 2013. "Buen vivir: la irrupción de América Latina en el campo gravitacional del desarrollo sostenible," Revista Iberoamericana de Economía Ecológica, Red Iberoamericana de Economía Ecológica, vol. 21, pages 1-14, December.
- Jari Lyytimäki & Ulla Rosenström, 2008. "Skeletons out of the closet: effectiveness of conceptual frameworks for communicating sustainable development indicators," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(5), pages 301-313.
- Tom Waas & Jean Hugé & Aviel Verbruggen & Tarah Wright, 2011. "Sustainable Development: A Bird’s Eye View," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 3(10), pages 1637-1661, September.
- Nuray Kizilaslan & A. Zafer Gürler & Halil Kizilaslan, 2007. "An analytical approach to sustainable development in Turkey," Sustainable Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 15(4), pages 254-266.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.