Foreign direct investment and global sourcing choices of firms in the US
AbstractThis paper investigates factors affecting the global sourcing choices of firms in the US: (1) US investment abroad; (2) foreign direct investment in the US; (3) wage-productivity ratio; and (4) transaction cost. I found that there is a statistically significant association between the country of sourcing choices and foreign direct investment. Both the wage-productivity ratios and transaction costs are not statistically significant at the conventional significance level, but their regression coefficients show proper signs. The paper also examines the patterns of foreign direct investment among countries and compares transaction costs by income group. Copyright © 2000 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Managerial and Decision Economics.
Volume (Year): 21 (2000)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/7976
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul M Swamidass & Masaaki Kotabe, 1993. "Component Sourcing Strategies of Multinationals: An Empirical Study of European and Japanese Multinationals," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(1), pages 81-99, March.
- Klein, Benjamin & Crawford, Robert G & Alchian, Armen A, 1978. "Vertical Integration, Appropriable Rents, and the Competitive Contracting Process," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(2), pages 297-326, October.
- John H Dunning, 1995. "Reappraising the Eclectic Paradigm in an Age of Alliance Capitalism," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(3), pages 461-491, September.
- Riad A Ajami & David A Ricks, 1981. "Motives of Non-American Firms Investing in the United States," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 12(3), pages 25-34, September.
- Trevino, Len J. & Grosse, Robert, 2002. "An analysis of firm-specific resources and foreign direct investment in the United States," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 431-452, August.
- Hong Y. Park & C. Surender Reddy & Iksu Jurn, 2001. "Sourcing Strategies of Manufacturing Firms: Transaction Cost Implications," American Journal of Business, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 16(2), pages 11-20.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.