Component Sourcing Strategies of Multinationals: An Empirical Study of European and Japanese Multinationals
AbstractThis is a study of component sourcing decisions of European and Japanese manufacturers for supplying their manufacturing operations in their home countries for export to the U.S. as well as their operations in the United States. Specifically, employing data from seventy-one multinational manufacturers of European and Japanese origin operating in the U.S., the study investigated the determinants of international sourcing decisions. The authors found support for the hypothesis that international sourcing could be explained using international plant location theory. The significance of this finding is that it offers a new theoretical framework to spur much needed research on the topic of international sourcing.© 1993 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1993) 24, 81–99
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 24 (1993)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Karjalainen, Katri & Salmi, Asta, 2013. "Continental differences in purchasing strategies and tools," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 112-125.
- repec:ner:maastr:urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-16111 is not listed on IDEAS
- Martínez-Noya, Andrea & García-Canal, Esteban, 2011. "Technological capabilities and the decision to outsource/outsource offshore R&D services," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 264-277, June.
- Javalgi, Rajshekhar (Raj) G. & Dixit, Ashutosh & Scherer, Robert F., 2009. "Outsourcing to emerging markets: Theoretical perspectives and policy implications," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 156-168, June.
- Kotabe, Masaaki & Murray, Janet Y., 1996. "Determinants of intra-firm sourcing and market performance," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 121-135, April.
- Mol, Michael J. & van Tulder, Rob J.M. & Beije, Paul R., 2005. "Antecedents and performance consequences of international outsourcing," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 599-617, October.
- Nassimbeni, Guido, 2006. "International sourcing: Empirical evidence from a sample of Italian firms," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(2), pages 694-706, October.
- Graf, Michael & Mudambi, Susan M., 2005. "The outsourcing of IT-enabled business processes: A conceptual model of the location decision," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 253-268, June.
- Hong Y Park, 2000. "Foreign direct investment and global sourcing choices of firms in the US," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(6), pages 211-221.
- Shin-Horng Chen & Meng-Chun Liu, 2005. "International R&D Deployment and Locational Advantage of Developing Countries: A Case Study of Taiwan," NBER Chapters, in: International Trade in East Asia, NBER-East Asia Seminar on Economics, Volume 14, pages 81-108 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Linares Navarro, E. & Pla Barber, J. & Puig Blanco, F, 2009. "La Estrategia De Outsourcing Internacional En España: Una Aproximación A Los Sectores Manufactureros Tradicionales / The Strategy Of International Outsourcing In Spain: An Approximation To The Tradi," Investigaciones Europeas de Dirección y Economía de la Empresa (IEDEE), Academia Europea de Dirección y Economía de la Empresa (AEDEM), vol. 15(3), pages 55-67.
- Mol, Michael J. & Pauwels, Pieter & Matthyssens, Paul & Quintens, Lieven, 2004. "A technological contingency perspective on the depth and scope of international outsourcing," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 287-305.
- Lanctot, Aldor & Swan, K. Scott, 2000. "Technology acquisition strategy in an internationally competitive environment," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 187-215.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.