Coffee futures: role in reducing coffee producers' price risk
AbstractThe paper investigates whether coffee producers can benefit by taking coffee production|marketing decisions on the basis of coffee futures forecasts. The methodology employed is to match futures and spot prices for the coffee futures contract traded at the international commodity exchanges. Regression analysis demonstrates that changes in spot prices are not explained by changes in lagged futures prices. On the contrary, it emerges that futures prices tend to adapt to the prevailing spot prices. The deviations of the spot prices from the lagged futures prices are over 30 per cent on average and they do not follow any systematic pattern. Therefore, the hypothesis that coffee futures market information could benefit coffee producers cannot be empirically supported. Copyright Â© 2004 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 16 (2004)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frank Ellis, 1998. "Household strategies and rural livelihood diversification," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(1), pages 1-38.
- Neil Kellard, 2002. "Evaluating Commodity Market Efficiency: Are Cointegration Tests Appropriate?," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(3), pages 513-529.
- Just, Richard E. & Rausser, Gordon C., 1985.
"Determination of the predominance of various expectations patterns in commodity futures and spot markets,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley
qt9wv9s614, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Just, Richard E. & Rausser, Gordon C, 1985. "Determination of the predominance of various expectations patterns in commodity futures and spot markets," CUDARE Working Paper Series, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy 362, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Reardon, Thomas, 1997. "Using evidence of household income diversification to inform study of the rural nonfarm labor market in Africa," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 735-747, May.
- Shonkwiler, J S & Maddala, G S, 1985. "Modeling Expectations of Bounded Prices: An Application to the Market for Corn," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 67(4), pages 697-702, November.
- Boum-Jong Choe, 1990. "Commodity price forecasts and futures prices," Policy Research Working Paper Series 436, The World Bank.
- Graciela Kaminsky & Manmohan S. Kumar, 1990. "Efficiency in Commodity Futures Markets," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 37(3), pages 670-699, September.
- Firdu Gemech & John Struthers, 2007. "Coffee price volatility in Ethiopia: effects of market reform programmes," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(8), pages 1131-1142.
- Lucia BALDI & Massimo PERI & Daniela VANDONE, 2011.
"Spot and future prices of agricultural commodities: fundamentals and speculation,"
Departmental Working Papers, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at UniversitÃ degli Studi di Milano
2011-03, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Baldi, Lucia & Peri, Massimo & Vandone, Daniela, 2011. "Spot and Futures Prices of Agricultural Commodities: Fundamentals and Speculation," 2011 International European Forum, February 14-18, 2011, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks 122002, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
- Baldi, Lucia & Peri, Massimo & Vandone, Daniela, 2011. "Price Discovery in Agricultural Commodities: The Shifting Relationship Between Spot and Future Prices," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland, European Association of Agricultural Economists 114237, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.