Economic development in a changing globalized economy
AbstractThis introductory article provides an overview of the Development Studies Association's 2003 annual conference, the theme of which was Globalization and Development. A brief summary of the articles that have been based on three plenary addresses follows the overview, together with outlines of the contents of the seven other articles included in this special issue of the Journal of International Development. Opposing views about the role of globalization in international development, particularly as it relates to developing countries, are then summarized within in a broad historical context. Some of the published evidence concerning the economic impact of globalization is then presented, continuing the adversarial standpoints of opposing 'camps'. The introduction is concluded with some discussion about future prospects for a 'globalized' world. Copyright © 2004 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 16 (2004)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew Glyn, 2004. "The Assessment: How Far has Globalization Gone?," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(1), pages 1-14, Spring.
- Michael W. Klein, 2003. "Capital Account Openness and the Varieties of Growth Experience," NBER Working Papers 9500, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maurizio Zanardi & Alberto Paloni, 2007. "The IMF, World Bank and policy reform," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/9823, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- David Dollar & Aart Kraay, 2004.
"Trade, Growth, and Poverty,"
Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society,
Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(493), pages F22-F49, 02.
- Yanikkaya, Halit, 2003. "Trade openness and economic growth: a cross-country empirical investigation," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 57-89, October.
- L Alan Winters, 2004. "Trade Liberalisation and Economic Performance: An Overview," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(493), pages F4-F21, 02.
- Faini, Riccardo & De Melo, Jaime & Senhadji-Semlali, Abdel & Stanton, Julie, 1989. "Macro performance under adjustment lending," Policy Research Working Paper Series 190, The World Bank.
- Tibor Scitovsky, 1954. "Two Concepts of External Economies," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 62, pages 143.
- Cornia, Giovanni Andrea & Jolly, Richard & Stewart, Frances (ed.), 1987. "Adjustment with a Human Face: Volume 1, Protecting the Vulnerable and Promoting Growth," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, number 9780198286097, October.
- Robert E. Baldwin, 2003.
"Openness and Growth: What's the Empirical Relationship?,"
NBER Working Papers
9578, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert E. Baldwin, 2004. "Openness and Growth: What’s the Empirical Relationship?," NBER Chapters, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, in: Challenges to Globalization: Analyzing the Economics, pages 499-526 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Amelia Santos-Paulino & A. P. Thirlwall, 2004. "The impact of trade liberalisation on exports, imports and the balance of payments of developing countries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(493), pages F50-F72, 02.
- Rod Cross & Douglas Strachan, 2001. "Three Pillars of Conventional Wisdom," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(2), pages 181-200.
- Shapiro, Helen & Taylor, Lance, 1990. "The state and industrial strategy," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 861-878, June.
- Yamin, Mo & Sinkovics, Rudolf R., 2009. "Infrastructure or foreign direct investment?: An examination of the implications of MNE strategy for economic development," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 144-157, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.