Wider impacts of microfinance institutions: issues and concepts
AbstractThe paper distinguishes between a 'wider' definition of wider impacts (which takes into account feedbacks from impacts to institutional performance) and a 'narrower' definition, which does not. In respect of both definitions, the paper sets out a typology of the effects which need to be measured (cultural, economic, social and political) and of the levels at which each of these impacts needs to be assessed (local, regional and national). The purpose is not to set out a blueprint for specific studies but rather to offer a framework which may be useful for guiding the methodology of such studies. Copyright © 2004 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 16 (2004)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bennett, L. & Goldberg, M., 1993. "Providing Enterprise Development and Financial Services to Women, A Decade of Bank Experience in Asia," Papers 236, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Jonathan Morduch, 1995.
"Income Smoothing and Consumption Smoothing,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 103-114, Summer.
- Morduch, J., 1995. "Income Smoothing and Consumption Smoothing," Papers 512, Harvard - Institute for International Development.
- Jonathan Morduch, 1995. "Income Smoothing and Consumption Smoothing," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1727, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Lapenu, Cécile & Zeller, Manfred, 2001.
"Distribution, growth, and performance of microfinance institutions in Africa, Asia, and Latin America,"
FCND discussion papers
114, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Lapenu, Cécile & Zeller, Manfred, 2001. "Distribution, growth, and performance of microfinance institutions in Africa, Asia, and Latin America," FCND briefs 114, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Morduch, Jonathan, 1999. "Between the State and the Market: Can Informal Insurance Patch the Safety Net?," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 14(2), pages 187-207, August.
- Bhaduri, Amit, 1977. "On the Formation of Usurious Interest Rates in Backward Agriculture," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 1(4), pages 341-52, December.
- Jain, Sanjay & Mansuri, Ghazala, 2003. "A little at a time: the use of regularly scheduled repayments in microfinance programs," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 253-279, October.
- Pitt, M.M. & Khandker, S.R., 1996. "Household and Intrahousehold Impact of the Grameen Bank and Similar Targeted Credit Programs in Bangladesh," World Bank - Discussion Papers 320, World Bank.
- Hashemi, Syed M. & Schuler, Sidney Ruth & Riley, Ann P., 1996. "Rural credit programs and women's empowerment in Bangladesh," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 635-653, April.
- Jain, Pankaj S., 1996. "Managing credit for the rural poor: Lessons from the Grameen Bank," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 79-89, January.
- Seibel, Hans Dieter & Llanto, Gilbert & Quiñones, Benjamin, 2000. "How Values Create Value: Social Capital in Microfinance - The Case of the Philippines," Working Papers 2000,2, University of Cologne, Development Research Center.
- McGregor, J. Allister & Mosley, Paul & Johnson, Susan & Simanowitz, Anton, 2000. "How Can Impact Assessment Take Into Account Wider Social and Economic Impacts?," Working Papers 23747, University of Sussex, Imp-Act: Improving the Impact of Microfinance on Poverty: Action Research Program.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1990. "Peer Monitoring and Credit Markets," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 4(3), pages 351-66, September.
- Yves Jégourel, 2008. "Les fonds d’investissement en microfinance : nouvelle niche de la finance éthique ?," Revue d'Économie Financière, Programme National Persée, vol. 93(3), pages 89-102.
- Hartarska, Valentina & Nadolnyak, Denis, 2008. "An Impact Analysis of Microfinance in Bosnia and Herzegovina," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 2605-2619, December.
- Valentina Hartarska & Denis Nadolnyak, 2007. "An Impact Analysis of Microfinance in Bosnia and Herzegovina," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp915, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.