Lending technologies, competition and consolidation in the market for microfinance in Bolivia
AbstractInnovations in lending technologies and market saturation have made La Paz, Bolivia one of the most rapidly changing and competitive microfinance markets in the world. Two lenders stand out: the pioneer BancoSol, which first profitably expanded the loan market with group liability loans, and the later entrant Caja Los Andes, which offered individual liability loans using costlier screening. Using a simple model of credit market competition with moral hazard and adverse selection we analyse how the terms of loan contracts were adapted to changes in competition and how borrowers' incentive to remain diligent and repay loans was affected. Hypothesized behaviour derived from the model is tested and shown to be consistent with empirical evidence from loan records and a household survey. Copyright © 2003 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 15 (2003)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
Other versions of this item:
- Jonathan Conning & Sergio Navajas & Claudio Gonzalez-Vega, 2003. "Lending Technologies, Competition, and Consolidation in the Market for Microfinance in Bolivia," Hunter College Department of Economics Working Papers 213, Hunter College: Department of Economics.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1994.
"The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships,"
NBER Working Papers
4921, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1995. "The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(2), pages 407-43, May.
- Hoff, Karla & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1998.
"Moneylenders and bankers: price-increasing subsidies in a monopolistically competitive market,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 485-518, April.
- Hoff, Karla & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1997. "Moneylenders and bankers: price-increasing subsidies in a monopolistically competitive market," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 429-462, April.
- Ghatak, Maitreesh & Guinnane, Timothy W., 1999.
"The economics of lending with joint liability: theory and practice,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 195-228, October.
- Ghatak, M. & Guinnane, T.W., 1998. "The Economics of Lending with Joint Liability: Theory and Practice," Papers 791, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Maitreesh Ghatak & Timothy W. Guinnane, 1998. "The Economics of Lending with Joint Liability: Theory and Practice," Discussion Papers 98-16, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Maitreesh Ghatak & Timothy W. Guinnane, 1998. "The Economics of Lending with Joint Liability: Theory and Practice," Working Papers 791, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Jonathan Morduch, 1999. "The Microfinance Promise," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(4), pages 1569-1614, December.
- Jaffee, Dwight & Stiglitz, Joseph, 1990. "Credit rationing," Handbook of Monetary Economics, in: B. M. Friedman & F. H. Hahn (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 16, pages 837-888 Elsevier.
- Kranton, Rachel E. & Swamy, Anand V., 1999. "The hazards of piecemeal reform: british civil courts and the credit market in colonial India," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 1-24, February.
- Claudio Gonzalez-Vega & Richard L. Meyer & Sergio Navajas & Mark Schreiner & Jorge Rodriguez-Meza & Guillermo Monje, 2001.
"Microfinance Market Niches and Client Profiles in Bolivia,"
- Gonzalez-Vega, Claudio & Meyer, Richard L. & Navajas, Sergio & Schreiner, Mark & Rodriguez-Meza, Jorge & Monje, Guillermo F., 1996. "Microfinance Market Niches And Client Profiles In Bolivia," Economics and Sociology Occasional Papers 28332, Ohio State University, Department of Agricultural, Environmental and Development Economics.
- van Tassel, Eric, 2002. "Signal Jamming in New Credit Markets," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(2), pages 469-90, May.
- Navajas, Sergio & Schreiner, Mark & Meyer, Richard L. & Gonzalez-vega, Claudio & Rodriguez-meza, Jorge, 2000.
"Microcredit and the Poorest of the Poor: Theory and Evidence from Bolivia,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 333-346, February.
- Navajas, Sergio & Schreiner, Mark & Meyer, Richard L. & Gonzalez-Vega, Claudio & Rodriguez-Meza, Jorge, 1998. "Microcredit And The Poorest Of The Poor: Theory And Evidence From Bolivia," Economics and Sociology Occasional Papers 28334, Ohio State University, Department of Agricultural, Environmental and Development Economics.
- Conning, Jonathan, 1999. "Outreach, sustainability and leverage in monitored and peer-monitored lending," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 51-77, October.
- J. Miguel Villas-Boas & Udo Schmidt-Mohr, 1999. "Oligopoly with Asymmetric Information: Differentiation in Credit Markets," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 30(3), pages 375-396, Autumn.
- Hisako Kai, 2009. "Competition and wide outreach of Microfinance Institutions," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(4), pages 2628-2639.
- Katchova, Ani L. & Miranda, Mario J. & Gonzalez-Vega, Claudio, 2001. "A Dynamic Model Of Microlending In The Developing Countries," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20635, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Paolo Casini, 2008. "Competition and Altruism in Microcredit Markets," Working Papers ECARES 2008_037, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Casini, Paolo, 2010. "Competitive microcredit markets: differentiation and ex-ante incentives for multiple borrowing," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/284177, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Brishti Guha & Prabal Roy Chowdhury, 2012.
"Micro-finance competition: Motivated micro-lenders, double-dipping and default,"
Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers
12-01, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Brishti Guha & Prabal Roy Chowdhury, 2012. "Micro-finance Competition: Motivated Micro-lenders, Double-dipping and Default," Working Papers 04-2012, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Brishti Guha & Prabal Roy Chowdhury, 2013. "Micro-finance Competition: Motivated Micro-lenders, Double-dipping and Default," Working Papers 01-2013, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Guha, Brishti & Roy Chowdhury, Prabal, 2012. "Micro-finance competition: motivated micro-lenders, double-dipping and default," MPRA Paper 36116, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alain de Janvry & Craig McIntosh & Elisabeth Sadoulet, 2006.
"The supply and demand side impacts of credit market information,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Nov.
- de Janvry, Alain & McIntosh, Craig & Sadoulet, Elisabeth, 2010. "The supply- and demand-side impacts of credit market information," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 173-188, November.
- Meesters, Aljar & Lensink, Robert & Hermes, Niels, 2008.
"Outreach and Efficiency of Microfinance Institutions,"
08002, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Hermes, Niels & Lensink, Robert & Meesters, Aljar, 2011. "Outreach and Efficiency of Microfinance Institutions," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 938-948, June.
- Richard Disney & Eleonora Fischera & Trudy Owens, . "Has the Introduction of Microfinance Crowded-out Informal Loans in Malawi?," Discussion Papers 10/08, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- McIntosh, Craig & Wydick, Bruce, 2005. "Competition and microfinance," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(2), pages 271-298, December.
- Steven Buck & Carlos Alpizar, 2006. "The role of trust in access to bank loans: Results from field experiments in the ecuadorian amazon," Artefactual Field Experiments 00016, The Field Experiments Website.
- Dorothea Schafer & Boriss Siliverstovs & Eva Terberger, 2010.
"Banking competition, good or bad? The case of promoting micro and small enterprise finance in Kazakhstan,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 42(6), pages 701-716.
- Dorothea Schäfer & Boriss Siliverstovs & Eva Terberger, 2005. "Banking Competition, Good or Bad?: The Case of Promoting Micro and Small Enterprise Finance in Kazakhstan," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 479, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Maurizio Caserta & Francesco Reito, 2013. "Outreach and Mission Drift in Microfinance: An Interpretation of the New Trend," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(1), pages 167-178.
- Brishti Guha & Prabal Roy Chowdhury, 2012. "Borrower Targeting under Micro-finance Competition with Motivated MFIs," Working Papers 05-2012, Singapore Management University, School of Economics.
- Madajewicz, Malgosia, 2011. "Joint liability versus individual liability in credit contracts," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 77(2), pages 107-123, February.
- Hartarska, Valentina, 2005. "Governance and performance of microfinance institutions in Central and Eastern Europe and the Newly Independent States," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1627-1643, October.
- Lehner, Maria, 2009. "Group Lending versus Individual Lending in Microfinance," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 299, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Canale, Rosaria Rita, 2010. "Microcredit in advanced economies as a "third way”: a theoretical reflection," MPRA Paper 21109, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.