A stochastic frontier approach to total factor productivity measurement in Bangladesh crop agriculture, 1961-92
AbstractThis paper applies a stochastic production frontier model to measure total factor productivity growth, technical efficiency change and technological change in Bangladesh crop agriculture for the 31 observations from 1960|61 to 1991|92, using data for 16 regions. The results reveal that technical change followed a U-shaped pattern, rising from the early 1970s, when the green revolution varieties were adopted, giving an overall rate of technical progress at 0.27 per cent per year. However, technical efficiency declined throughout, at an estimated annual rate of 0.47 per cent. The combined effect of slow technical progress, dominated by the fall in technical efficiency resulted in total factor productivity (TFP) declining at a rate of 0.23 per cent per annum, with the rate of decline increasing in the later years. TFP change is shown to depend on the green revolution technology and agricultural research expenditures. Copyright © 2003 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 15 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ner:maastr:urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-5750 is not listed on IDEAS
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Rahman, Sanzidur, 2004. "Regional Productivity Differences And Prospect For Convergence In Bangladesh Agriculture, 1964-1992," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20047, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- M. N. Asadullah & S. Rahman, 2009.
"Farm productivity and efficiency in rural Bangladesh: the role of education revisited,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(1), pages 17-33.
- Asadullah, M. Niaz & Rahman, Sanzidur, 2006. "Farm Productivity and Efficiency in Rural Bangladesh: The Role of Education Revisited," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25482, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- M Niaz Asadullah & Sanzidur Rahman, 2005. "Farm productivity and efficiency in rural Bangladesh:The role of education revisited," CSAE Working Paper Series 2005-10, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- M. Niaz Asadullah & Sanzidur Rahman, 2005. "Farm productivity and efficiency in rural Bangladesh: The role of education revisited," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2005-10, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Zaeske, Andrew, 2012. "Aggregate Technical Efficiency and Water Use in U.S. Agriculture," CERE Working Papers 2012:11, CERE - the Center for Environmental and Resource Economics.
- Shilpa Chaudhary, 2012. "Trends in Total Factor Productivity in Indian Agriculture: State-level Evidence using non-parametric Sequential Malmquist Index," Working papers 215, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics.
- A. Peyrache & A. N. Rambaldi, 2012. "A State-Space Stochastic Frontier Panel Data Model," CEPA Working Papers Series WP012012, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Anik, Asif Reza & Breustedt, Gunnar & Bauer, Siegfried, 2011. "The Impact of Corruption on Farmers' Efficiency in Rice Production: A Natural Experiment from Bangladesh," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114224, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.