The revival of smallholder cash crops in Africa: public and private roles in the provision of finance
AbstractThis paper examines the role of finance in smallholder cash crop production in Sub-Saharan Africa following market liberalization, drawing on theoretical arguments and fieldwork in Ghana, Tanzania and (for comparison) Pakistan. Smallholders' needs for finance for input purchase and traders' needs for finance to facilitate the supply of inputs and the purchase of produce are considered. It is argued that many smallholders need seasonal credit if they are to use inputs and that this can often be best achieved by loans to intermediary traders. But the development of credit markets is blocked by a high incidence of 'strategic default' on loans. Various mechanisms can be used to improve loan repayment rates from farmers, and these are analysed with a particular focus on 'interlocked contracts'. © 1998 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 10 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Crow, Ben & Murshid, K. A. S., 1994. "Economic returns to social power: Merchants' finance and interlinkage in the grain markets of Bangladesh," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(7), pages 1011-1030, July.
- Andrew Dorward & Jonathan Kydd & Colin Poulton & Dirk Bezemer, 2009.
"Coordination Risk and Cost Impacts on Economic Development in Poor Rural Areas,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(7), pages 1093-1112.
- Dorward, Andrew & Kydd, Jonathan & Poulton, Colin & Bezemer, Dirk, 2007. "Coordination risk and cost impacts on economic development in poor rural areas," MPRA Paper 7028, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Shiferaw, Bekele & Obare, Gideon & Muricho, Geoffrey, 2006. "Rural institutions and producer organizations in imperfect markets: experiences from producer marketing groups in semi-arid eastern Kenya," CAPRi working papers 60, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Kelly, Valerie & Adesina, Akinwumi A. & Gordon, Ann, 2003. "Expanding access to agricultural inputs in Africa: a review of recent market development experience," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 379-404, August.
- Govereh, Jones & Jayne, Thomas S., 1999.
"Effects of Cash Crop Production on Food Crop Productivity in Zimbabwe: Synergies or Trade-offs?,"
Food Security International Development Working Papers
54670, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Govereh, Jones & Jayne, Thomas S., 1999. "Effects of Cash Crop Production on Food Crop Productivity in Zimbabwe: Synergies or Trade-Offs?," Food Security International Development Policy Syntheses 11371, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Henson, Spencer & Masakure, Oliver & Boselie, David, 2005. "Private food safety and quality standards for fresh produce exporters: The case of Hortico Agrisystems, Zimbabwe," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 371-384, August.
- Crawford, Eric W. & Kelly, Valerie A., 2001. "Evaluating Measures To Improve Agricultural Input Use," Staff Papers 11686, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Poulton, Colin & Dorward, Andrew & Kydd, Jonathan, 2010. "The Future of Small Farms: New Directions for Services, Institutions, and Intermediation," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 1413-1428, October.
- Takamasa Akiyama & John Baffes & Donald Larson & Panos Varangis, 2001. "Commodity Market Reforms : Lessons of Two Decades," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13852, October.
- Heltberg, R. & Tarp, F., 2002.
"Agricultural supply response and poverty in Mozambique,"
Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 103-124, April.
- Heltberg, Rasmus & Tarp, Finn, 2001. "Agricultural Supply Response and Poverty in Mozambique," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Dries, Liesbeth & Gorton, Matthew & White, John & Urutyan, Vardan E. & Sardaryan, Gagik, 2012. "The Role Of Agribusiness In Stimulating On-Farm Investments Â€“ Case-Study Of The Armenian Dairy Sector," APSTRACT: Applied Studies in Agribusiness and Commerce, AGRIMBA, vol. 6.
- Winter-Nelson, Alex & Temu, Anna, 2002. "Institutional Adjustment and Transaction Costs: Product and Inputs Markets in the Tanzanian Coffee System," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 561-574, April.
- Gockowski, James & Ndoumbe, Michel, 2004. "The adoption of intensive monocrop horticulture in southern Cameroon," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 30(3), pages 195-202, May.
- Deb, Rahul & Suri, Tavneet, 2013. "Endogenous emergence of credit markets: Contracting in response to a new technology in Ghana," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 101(C), pages 268-283.
- Kelly, Valerie A., 2005. "Farmers' Demand for Fertilizer in Sub-Saharan Africa," Staff Papers 11612, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Govereh, Jones & Jayne, T. S., 2003. "Cash cropping and food crop productivity: synergies or trade-offs?," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 28(1), pages 39-50, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.