Determinants of competitive advantage for German food processors
AbstractThis article aims to explain the variation in firm performance in the German food processing industry. Building on the resource-based view, both drivers and outcomes of firm performance were defined as relative concepts. Performance was measured as relative return on assets and sales, relative change in sales, and by combining these variables into an integrated performance measure. Data for the analysis was gathered in an online firm survey and analyzed by means of nonparametric correlation and regression analysis. The survey response was very low and the sample may not be a good representation of the population. However, the results indicate that the main drivers for firm advantages lie within technology and production-related areas. They further suggest that with firm-specific variables, it is possible to explain as much as two-thirds of the variation in profitability. [Q130, L250, D240]. © 2008 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 24 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philip Hans Franses & J.S. Cramer, 2010.
"On the number of categories in an ordered regression model,"
Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 64(1), pages 125-128.
- Franses, Ph.H.B.F. & Cramer, J.S., 2002. "On the number of categories in an ordered regression model," Econometric Institute Report EI 2002-15, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Econometric Institute.
- Morgan, Robert E. & Strong, Carolyn A., 2003. "Business performance and dimensions of strategic orientation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 163-176, March.
- Clement E. Ward, 1990. "Meatpacking plant capacity and utilization: Implications for competition and pricing," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(1), pages 65-73.
- John H Dunning, 1988. "The Eclectic Paradigm of International Production: A Restatement and Some Possible Extensions," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(1), pages 1-31, March.
- Christian Fischer & Sebastian Schornberg, 2007. "Assessing the competitiveness situation of EU food and drink manufacturing industries: An index-based approach," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 23(4), pages 473-495.
- Carraresi, Laura & Mamaqi, Xhevrie & Albisu, Luis Miguel & Banterle, Alessandro, 2012. "Strategic Capabilities and Performance: An Application of Resource-Based View in Italian Food SMEs," 2012 International European Forum, February 13-17, 2012, Innsbruck-Igls, Austria 144955, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
- Carraresi, Laura & Mamaqi, Xhevrie & Albisu, Luis Miguel & Banterle, Alessandro, 2011. "The Relationship Between Strategic Choices and Performance in Italian Food SMEs: A Resource-based Approach," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114318, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.