Analysis of the demand for imported meat in Switzerland using a dynamic specification: Implications for the European Union
AbstractThe study identifies the long-run equilibrium (steady-state) relationship of the demand for imported meat in Switzerland and the speed of adjustment of the short-run demand using the Error Correction Linear Approximate Almost Ideal Demand System (EC-LA|AIDS). Results indicate that imports of meat into Switzerland have a long-run equilibrium relationship with price and real expenditure. The study also finds that the demand for pork is price elastic, while the demand for beef, chicken, and mutton is price inelastic. Results will have important implications for the EU meat industry to adjust its export supply in response to changes in prices resulting from the bilateral trade agreements in which Switzerland is expected to reduce or abolish nontariff barriers, further open its market, and reduce or abolish all duties and export subsidies. [EconLit citations: Q110, Q130, Q170 © 2007 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. Agribusiness 23: 497-510, 2007.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Agribusiness.
Volume (Year): 23 (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)1520-6297
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anderson, Gordon & Blundell, Richard, 1983. "Testing Restrictions in a Flexible Dynamic Demand System: An Application to Consumers' Expenditure in Canada," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(3), pages 397-410, July.
- Phillips, P C B, 1987.
"Time Series Regression with a Unit Root,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 277-301, March.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1985. "Time Series Regression with a Unit Root," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 740R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Feb 1986.
- Tom Doan, . "PPUNIT: RATS procedure to perform Phillips-Perron Unit Root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00160, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Frank Asche & Kjell G. Salvanes, 1996. "Dynamic Factor Demand Systems and the Adjustment Speed towards Equilibrium," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(s1), pages 576-81, April.
- Moschini, GianCarlo, 1995. "Units of Measurement and the 'Stone Index' In Demand System Estimation," Staff General Research Papers 5058, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Giannis Karagiannis & Kostas Velentzas, 1997. "Explaining Food Consumption Patterns In Greece," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1-3), pages 83-92.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.