Prohibition and the Market for Illegal Drugs
AbstractOver the past 25 years in the United States, enforcement of drug prohibition has expanded dramatically. Over the same period, however, the trends in drug production and consumption have been essentially flat, and the real, purityadjusted prices of both cocaine and heroin have more than halved. This combination of facts raises questions about the effectiveness of prohibition enforcement, and it constitutes a puzzle that is interesting to explain. In this paper the authors document these facts and explore possible explanations. They do not claim to provide a complete answer, but shed light on which explanations are likely to be important.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by World Economics, Economic & Financial Publishing, 1 Ivory Square, Plantation Wharf, London, United Kingdom, SW11 3UE in its journal World Economics Journal.
Volume (Year): 2 (2001)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- James Fogarty, 2004. "The Own-Price Elasticity of Alcohol: A Meta-Analysis," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 04-01, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Leonardo Raffo López, 2010. "Narcotráfico y conflicto: ¿por qué bajó el precio de la cocaína?," Revista de Economía Institucional, Universidad Externado de Colombia - Facultad de Economía, vol. 12(23), pages 229-258, July-Dece.
- Dhaval Dave, 2004. "Illicit Drug Use Among Arrestees and Drug Prices," NBER Working Papers 10648, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dhaval Dave, 2004.
"The Effects of Cocaine and Heroin Prices on Drug-Related Emergency Department Visits,"
NBER Working Papers
10619, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dave, Dhaval, 2006. "The effects of cocaine and heroin price on drug-related emergency department visits," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 311-333, March.
- Dhaval Dave & Swati Mukerjee, 2011.
"Mental health parity legislation, cost‐sharing and substance‐abuse treatment admissions,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(2), pages 161-183, 02.
- Dhaval M. Dave & Swati Mukerjee, 2008. "Mental Health Parity Legislation, Cost-Sharing and Substance Abuse Treatment Admissions," NBER Working Papers 14471, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenneth W. Clements & Xueyan Zhao, 2005. "Economic Aspects of Marijuana," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 05-28, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Kenneth W. Clements, 2004.
"Three Facts About Marijuana Prices,"
Economics Discussion / Working Papers
04-06, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Clements, Kenneth W., 2004. "Three facts about marijuana prices," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 48(2), June.
- Kenneth W. Clements, 2002. "Three Facts About Marijuana Prices," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 02-10, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Clements, Kenneth W., 2003. "Three Facts About Marijuana Prices," 2003 Conference (47th), February 12-14, 2003, Fremantle, Australia 57846, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Hope Corman & Kelly Noonan & Nancy E. Reichman & Dhaval Dave, 2004. "Demand for Illicit Drugs by Pregnant Women," NBER Working Papers 10688, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kevin Lang & Ana Nuevo-Chiquero, 2012. "Trends in Self-reported Spontaneous Abortions: 1970–2000," Demography, Springer, vol. 49(3), pages 989-1009, August.
- Robert T. Burrus, Jr., 2006. "The Impact of Weight-Based Penalties on Drug Purity and Consumption: A Theoretical Analysis," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 32(4), pages 629-646, Fall.
- Michael Grossman, 2004. "Individual Behaviors and Substance Use: The Role of Price," NBER Working Papers 10948, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ed Jones).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.