The Effect of Group Homes on Neighborhood Property Values
AbstractThe majority of studies examining the impact of group homes on neighborhood property values have found that group homes do not adversely effect property values. In our study of seven group homes neighborhoods in DuPage County, Illinois, we find that properties which are proximate to group homes experience a decline in value following the announcement of a group home's pending establishment. In our analysis, observations across time and space are incorporated into a format that is similar to an event study. Our model is the first in this literature to accommodate different price levels and appreciation rates across neighborhoods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Land Economics.
Volume (Year): 76 (2000)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://le.uwpress.org/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R20 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gabriel Ahlfeldt, 2007. "If Alonso Was Right: Accessibility as Determinant for Attractiveness of Urban Location," Working Papers 012, Chair for Economic Policy, University of Hamburg.
- Andrew Narwold & Jonathan Sandy & Charles Tu, 2008. "Historic Designation and Residential Property Values," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 11(1), pages 83-95.
- Carolyn A. Dehring & Craig A. Depken, II & Michael R. Ward, 2006.
"The Impact of Stadium Announcements on Residential Property Values: Evidence from a Natural Experiment in Dallas-Fort Worth,"
0616, International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Carolyn A. Dehring & Craig A. Depken & Michael R. Ward, 2007. "The Impact Of Stadium Announcements On Residential Property Values: Evidence From A Natural Experiment In Dallas-Fort Worth," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 25(4), pages 627-638, October.
- Craig A. Depken & Michael R. Ward & Carolyn A. Dehring, 2006. "The Impact of Stadium Announcements on Residential Property Values: Evidence from a Natural Experiment in Dallas-Fort Worth," Working Papers 0602, University of Texas at Arlington, Department of Economics.
- Gabriel M. Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig, 2010.
"Impact of sports arenas on land values: evidence from Berlin,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
25512, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Gabriel Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig, 2010. "Impact of sports arenas on land values: evidence from Berlin," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 44(2), pages 205-227, April.
- Gabriel Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig, 2007. "Impact of Sports Arenas on Land Values: Evidence from Berlin," Working Papers 0703, International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Gabriel Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig, 2008. "Award-Winning Architecture and Urban Revitalization: The Case of “Olympic Arenas” in Berlin-Prenzlauer Berg," Working Papers 0814, International Association of Sports Economists & North American Association of Sports Economists.
- repec:asg:wpaper:1004 is not listed on IDEAS
- Immergluck, Dan, 2007. "Large-Scale Redevelopment Initiatives and Home Values: The Case of the Atlanta Beltline Project," MPRA Paper 8613, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Leigh L. Linden & Jonah E. Rockoff, 2006. "There Goes the Neighborhood? Estimates of the Impact of Crime Risk on Property Values From Megan's Laws," NBER Working Papers 12253, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.