Family Background and School Achievement among Low Income Blacks
AbstractAlthough parents' socioeconomic status has large and important effects on their children's school achievement, it is clear that there are substantial variations in children's outcomes across families that are identical in parents' education and work history, family income, family size, and other standard measures of social and economic well-being. This paper finds evidence that much of the variation in academic performance of young children from low-income black families results from differences in behavior and attitudess among the families.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Wisconsin Press in its journal Journal of Human Resources.
Volume (Year): 24 (1989)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://jhr.uwpress.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Robert Kaestner & Hope Corman, 1995. "The Impact of Child Health and Family Inputs on Child Cognitive Develop-ment," NBER Working Papers 5257, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yannis M. Ioannides & Linda Datcher Loury, 2002.
"Job Information Networks, Neighborhood Effects and Inequality,"
Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University
0217, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- Yannis M. Ioannides & Linda Datcher Loury, 2004. "Job Information Networks, Neighborhood Effects, and Inequality," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 42(4), pages 1056-1093, December.
- Goetz, Stephan J. & Debertin, David L., 1991.
"Rural Education and the 1990 Kentucky Educational Reform Act: Funding, Implementation and Research Issues,"
Agricultural Economics Research Reports
140073, University of Kentucky, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Goetz, Stephan J. & Debertin, David L., 1991. "Rural Education and the 1990 Kentucky Educational Reform Act: Funding, Implementation and Research Issues," Agricultural Economics Research Reports 159490, University of Kentucky, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Robert Kaestner, 1995. "The Effects of Cocaine and Marijuana Use on Marriage and Marital Stability," NBER Working Papers 5038, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Donald Andrews & Bichaka Fayissa & Uday Tate, 1991. "An estimation of the aggregate educational production function for public schools in Louisiana," The Review of Black Political Economy, Springer, vol. 20(1), pages 25-47, September.
- Ludwig, Jens, 1999. "Information and inner city educational attainment," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 17-30, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.