Forecasting wage inequality
AbstractWage inequality in Chile has remained high for decades and it is currently at the center of the political agenda. Increasing education of workers is expected to contribute to reduce wage inequality. Based on historical trends of age, education, and returns to education, this paper attempts to forecast wage inequality. Despite an increase in average earnings due to higher levels of education of workers, high levels of wage inequality within age groups and within education groups produce that forecasted wage inequality remains high for the next 10- year period. The structure of the Chilean labor market appears to imply that there is a high level of underlying wage inequality. Nevertheless, the good news are that the labor market structure seems to prevent further deteriorations of wage inequality.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chile, Department of Economics in its journal Estudios de Economia.
Volume (Year): 34 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 Year 2007 (December)
Wage inequality; labor market.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- O15 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rómulo A.Chumacero & Ricardo D.Paredes, 2005. "Characterizing income distribution for poverty and inequality analysis," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 32(1 Year 20), pages 97-117, June.
- Contreras, Dante & Cooper, Ryan & Neilson, Christopher, 2008.
"Crecimiento pro pobre en Chile,"
El Trimestre Económico,
Fondo de Cultura Económica, vol. 0(300), pages 931-944, octubre-d.
- Claudio Sapelli, 2011. "A cohort analysis of the income distribution in Chile," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 38(1 Year 20), pages 223-242, June.
- Javier Núñez & Andrea Tartakowsky, 2007. "Inequality of outcomes vs. inequality of opportunities in a developing country. An exploratory analysis for Chile," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 34(2 Year 20), pages 185-202, December.
- Javier Núñez Errázuriz & Andrea Tartakowsky, 2009. "The relationship between Inequality of Outcomes and Inequality of Opportunities in a high-inequality country: The case of Chile," Working Papers wp292, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Verónica Kunze).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.