Drug Prices and Research and Development Investment Behavior in the Pharmaceutical Industry
AbstractThis paper argues theoretically and shows empirically that pharmaceutical R&D spending increases with real drug prices, after holding constant other determinants of research and development (R&D). Specifically, an estimated elasticity suggests that a 10 percent increase in the growth of real drug prices is associated with nearly a 6 percent increase in the growth of R&D intensity. Simulations that are based on our multiple-regression model indicate that the capitalized value of pharmaceutical R&D spending would have been about 30 percent lower if the federal government had limited the rate of growth in drug price increases to the rate of growth in the general consumer price index during the period 1980-2001. Moreover, the results suggest that a drug price control regime would have resulted in 330--65 fewer new drugs, representing over one-third of all actual new drug launches brought to the global market during that time period.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Law and Economics.
Volume (Year): 48 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JLE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Joseph Golec & John A. Vernon, 2007. "New estimates of pharmaceutical research and development spending by US-based firms from 1984 to 2003," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(4-5), pages 481-483.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:6:y:2008:i:36:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Katherine Sauer, 2008. "A model of parallel imports of pharmaceuticals with endogenous price controls," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 6(36), pages 1-8.
- Kurt R. Brekke & Tor Helge Holmås & Odd Rune Straume, 2014.
"Price Regulation and Parallel Imports of Pharmaceuticals,"
NIPE Working Papers
01/2014, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Brekke, Kurt R. & Holmås, Tor Helge & Straume, Odd Rune, 2014. "Price Regulation and Parallel Imports of Pharmaceuticals," Discussion Paper Series in Economics 1/2014, Department of Economics, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Shih, Pai-Ta & Hung, Weifeng, 2008. "The overall effect of volatility on investment," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 99(2), pages 324-327, May.
- Joseph H. Golec & John A. Vernon, 2007. "Financial Risk in the Biotechnology Industry," NBER Working Papers 13604, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barrenho, E & Smith, PC & Miraldo, M, 2013. "The determinants of attrition in drug development: a duration analysis," Working Papers 12204, Imperial College, London, Imperial College Business School.
- Giaccotto, Carmelo & Golec, Joseph & Vernon, John, 2011. "New estimates of the cost of capital for pharmaceutical firms," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 526-540, June.
- Bastian Rake, 2013.
"Determinants of Pharmaceutical Innovation: The Role of Technological Opportunities Revisited,"
DRUID Working Papers
13-03, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Bastian Rake, 2012. "Determinants of Pharmaceutical Innovation: The Role of Technological Opportunities Revisited," Jena Economic Research Papers 2012-018, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Joseph H. Golec & John A. Vernon, 2006. "European Pharmaceutical Price Regulation, Firm Profitability, and R&D Spending," NBER Working Papers 12676, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nebibe Varol & Joan Costa-i-Font & Alistair McGuire, 2011. "Explaining Early Adoption on New Medicines: Regulation, Innovation and Scale," CESifo Working Paper Series 3459, CESifo Group Munich.
- William S. Comanor & Stuart O. Schweitzer, 2007. "Determinants of drug prices and expenditures," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(4-5), pages 357-370.
- Refoios Camejo, Rodrigo & McGrath, Clare & Herings, Ron, 2011. "A dynamic perspective on pharmaceutical competition, drug development and cost effectiveness," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 18-24, April.
- Patricia M. Danzon & Eric L. Keuffel, 2013. "Regulation of the Pharmaceutical-Biotechnology Industry," NBER Chapters, in: Economic Regulation and Its Reform: What Have We Learned? National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.