Advance Notice and Postdisplacement Joblessness
AbstractThis article investigates whether prenotification decreases postdisplacement joblessness. Reduced-form estimates indicate that lengthy written notice is associated with small increases in the probability of avoiding nonemployment but with no decline in average durations. Significant reductions are found, however, for household heads, women, nonwhites, and in local labor markets with high unemployment rates. A new method is developed to control for the endogeneity of voluntarily provided advance notice. This procedure suggests that previous research substantially overstates the degree to which prenotification reduces nonemployment and indicates that the actual decrease is between two and five working days. Copyright 1992 by University of Chicago Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Labor Economics.
Volume (Year): 10 (1992)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JOLE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Abbring, J.H. & Berg, G. van den & Gautier, P.A. & Lomwel, A.G.C. van & Ours, J.C. van & Ruhm, C.J., 1998.
"Displaced Workers in The United States and The Netherlands,"
1998-96, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Jaap H. Abbring & Gerard J. van den Berg & Pieter A. Gautier & A. Gijsbert C. van Lomwel & Jan C. van Ours & Christopher J. Ruhm, 1998. "Displaced Workers in the United States and the Netherlands," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 98-084/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Lori G. Kletzer, 1998. "Job Displacement," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 115-136, Winter.
- Audra Bowlus & Lars Vilhuber, 2002.
"Displaced workers, early leavers, and re-employment wages,"
Longitudinal Employer-Household Dynamics Technical Papers
2002-18, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Audra Bowlus & Lars Vilhuber, 2001. "Displaced Workers, Early Leavers, and Re-employment Wages," University of Western Ontario, CIBC Centre for Human Capital and Productivity Working Papers 20015, University of Western Ontario, CIBC Centre for Human Capital and Productivity.
- Audra Bowlus & Lars Vilhuber, 2002. "Displaced workers, early leavers, and re-employment wages," 10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002 C1-1, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Paul A. Storer & Marc A. van Audenrode, 1998. "Exploring the Links between Wage Inequality and Unemployment: A Comparison of Canada and the US," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 24(s1), pages 233-253, February.
- T. Addison, John & Portugal, Pedro, 1998. "Some specification issues in unemployment duration analysis," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 53-66, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.