Exploring the Links between Wage Inequality and Unemployment: A Comparison of Canada and the US
AbstractThis paper examines the links between the unemployment rate gap and wage inequality in the US and Canada. Survey data for displaced workers from the early 1980s are compared for the two countries to examine differenes in wages obtained after displacement. We look at all workers and subgroups of the population and compare entire wage distributions between the countries. While we find a tighter wage-change distribution in Canada, our results do not indicate that this is primarily due to more generous unemployment insurance in Canada. Unemployment insurance does, however, improve wage outcomes for the long-term unemployed in Canada
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Toronto Press in its journal Canadian Public Policy.
Volume (Year): 24 (1998)
Issue (Month): s1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of Toronto Press Journals Division 5201 Dufferin Street Toronto, Ontario, Canada M3H 5T8
Web page: http://economics.ca/cpp/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nickell, Stephen & Bell, Brian, 1996. "Changes in the Distribution of Wages and Unemployment in OECD Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 86(2), pages 302-08, May.
- DiNardo, John & Fortin, Nicole M & Lemieux, Thomas, 1996.
"Labor Market Institutions and the Distribution of Wages, 1973-1992: A Semiparametric Approach,"
Econometrica, Econometric Society,
Econometric Society, vol. 64(5), pages 1001-44, September.
- John DiNardo & Nicole M. Fortin & Thomas Lemieux, 1995. "Labor Market Institutions and the Distribution of Wages, 1973-1992: A Semiparametric Approach," NBER Working Papers 5093, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nidardo, J. & Fortin, N. & Lemieux, T., 1994. "Labor Market Institutions and the Distribution of Wages, 1973-1992: A Semiparametric Approach," Papers, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences 93-94-15, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- Dinardo, J. & Fortin, N.M. & Lemieux, T., 1994. "Labor Market Institutions and the Distribution of Wages, 1973-1992: A Semiparametric Approach," Cahiers de recherche, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en Ã©conomie quantitative, CIREQ 9406, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Dinardo, J. & Fortin, N.M. & Lemieux, T., 1994. "Labor Market Institutions and the Distribution of Wages, 1973-1992: a Semiparametric Approach," Cahiers de recherche, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques 9406, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Ruhm, Christopher J, 1992. "Advance Notice and Postdisplacement Joblessness," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 10(1), pages 1-32, January.
- Stephen Donald & David Green & Harry Paarsch, . "Differences in Earnings and Wage Distributions between Canada and the United States: An Application of a Semi-Parametric Estimator of Distribution Functions with Covariates," Working Papers, University of California at Berkeley, Econometrics Laboratory Software Archive _003, University of California at Berkeley, Econometrics Laboratory Software Archive.
- Layard, R. & Nickell, S., 1991.
"Unemployment in the OECD Countries,"
Economics Series Working Papers
99130, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Richard Layard & Stephen Nickell, 1992. "Unemployment in the OECD Countries," CEP Discussion Papers, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE dp0081, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Tregenna, F., 2009. "The Relationship Between Unemployment and Earnings Inequality in South Africa," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge 0907, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.