Organizational Structure and Expected Output at Nuclear Power Plants
AbstractThis paper examines the relationship between organizational structure and operation and outage durations at nuclear power plants in the United States. It empirically examines Aoki's (1990) proposition that (1) hierarchical control increases productivity in situations that are very stable or very uncertain and (2) horizontal coordination increases productivity in intermediate situations. It describes a model of continuous production in which management chooses an organizational structure that minimizes the ratio of the hazard rates for operation and outage. And proposes an index of hierarchy based on measures of plant-level organization. Parameter estimates support the proposition that less hierarchy is associated with higher productivity through longer periods of operation. Copyright 1996 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 78 (1996)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Masahiko Aoki & Geoffrey Rothwell, 2011.
"Coordination Under Uncertain Conditions : An Analysis of the Fukushima Catastrophe,"
Governance Working Papers
23220, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Aoki, Masahiko & Rothwell, Geoffrey, 2011. "Coordination Under Uncertain Conditions: An Analysis of the Fukushima Catastrophe," ADBI Working Papers 316, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Koomey, Jonathan & Hultman, Nathan E., 2007. "A reactor-level analysis of busbar costs for US nuclear plants, 1970-2005," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 5630-5642, November.
- John Rust & Geoffrey Rothwell, 1995. "Optimal Response to Shift in Regulatory Regime: the Case of the U.S. Nuclear Power Industry," Industrial Organization 9508002, EconWPA.
- Masahiko Aoki & Geoffrey Rothwell, 2011. "Organizations under Large Uncertainty: An Analysis of the Fukushima Catastrophe," Discussion Papers 11-001, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Geoffrey Rothwell & John Rust, 1995. "A Dynamic Programming Model of U.S. Nuclear Power Plant Operations," Microeconomics 9502001, EconWPA, revised 06 Feb 1995.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.