Coordination Under Uncertain Conditions : An Analysis of the Fukushima Catastrophe
Abstractï»¿This paper analyzes the impacts of the 11 March 2011 earthquake and tsunami at the Fukushima nuclear power plant in Japan, which were amplified by a failure of coordination across the plant, corporate, industrial, and regulatory levels, resulting in a nuclear catastrophe, comparable in cost to Chernobyl. It derives generic lessons for industrial structure and regulatory frame of the electric power industry by identifying the two shortcomings of a horizontal coordination mechanism : instability under large shock and the lack of â€œdefense in depth.â€ The suggested policy response is to harness the power of â€œopen-interface-rule-based modularityâ€ by creating an independent nuclear safety commission and an independent system operator owning the transmission grids in Japan. We propose a transitory price mechanism that can restrain price volatility while providing investment incentives.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by East Asian Bureau of Economic Research in its series Governance Working Papers with number 23220.
Date of creation: Oct 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: JG Crawford Building #13, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, ACT 0200
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
Japan; coordination mechanism; horizontal coordination mechanism; Fukushima;
Other versions of this item:
- Aoki, Masahiko & Rothwell, Geoffrey, 2011. "Coordination Under Uncertain Conditions: An Analysis of the Fukushima Catastrophe," ADBI Working Papers, Asian Development Bank Institute 316, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
- L43 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Legal Monopolies and Regulation or Deregulation
- L94 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Electric Utilities
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alonso, Ricardo & Dessein, Wouter & Matouschek, Niko, 2006.
"When Does Coordination Require Centralization?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
5802, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ricardo Alonso & Wouter Dessein & Niko Matouschek, 2008. "When Does Coordination Require Centralization?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 98(1), pages 145-79, March.
- Bushnell, James & Hobbs, Benjamin & Wolak, Frank, 2009.
"When It Comes to Demand Response, is FERC Its Own Worst Enemy?,"
Staff General Research Papers, Iowa State University, Department of Economics
13141, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Bushnell, James & Hobbs, Benjamin F. & Wolak, Frank A., 2009. "When It Comes to Demand Response, Is FERC Its Own Worst Enemy?," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 22(8), pages 9-18, October.
- Aoki, Masahiko & Takizawa, Hirokazu, 2002. "Information, Incentives, and Option Value: The Silicon Valley Model," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 759-786, December.
- Aoki, Masahiko, 2010. "Corporations in Evolving Diversity: Cognition, Governance, and Institutions," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, number 9780199218530, October.
- Aoki, Masahiko, 1986. "Horizontal vs. Vertical Information Structure of the Firm," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 76(5), pages 971-83, December.
- Rothwell, Geoffrey, 1996. "Organizational Structure and Expected Output at Nuclear Power Plants," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 78(3), pages 482-88, August.
- n/a, 2003. "Book Reviews," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 151-159.
- Aoki, Masahiko, 1990. "Toward an Economic Model of the Japanese Firm," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 28(1), pages 1-27, March.
- Ricardo Alonso & Wouter Dessein & Niko Matouschek, 2008. "When Does Coordination Require Centralization? Corrigendum," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 98(3), pages 1195-96, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.