Value Event Studies
AbstractThis paper discusses appropriate methodology for measuring the effect of an event on the value of a firm's equity. Th e key points are (1) cumulative abnormal returns do not measure the effect of an event on firm value if there are dividends during the event window; (2) it is generally appropriate to use pre-event parameters of the return-generating process even if the event alters the parameters during the event window, and (3) controlling for fact ors other than the return on the market portfolio improves the power of the estimation. The formula for the effect of an event on the value of a firm when there are dividends during the event window is developed a nd applied to a study of the effect of the Bhopal disaster on the value of Union Carbide. Copyright 1992 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 74 (1992)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Capelle-Blancard, Gunther & Laguna, Marie-Aude, 2010.
"How does the stock market respond to chemical disasters?,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 192-205, March.
- Marie-Aude Laguna & Gunther Capelle-Blancard, 2010. "How Does the Stock Market Respond to Chemical Disasters?," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00637961, HAL.
- James Sfiridis & Alan Gelfand, 2002. "A survey of sampling-based Bayesian analysis of financial data," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 9(4), pages 273-291.
- Patrick Richard, 2010. "Financial market instability and CO2 emissions," Cahiers de recherche 10-20, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Capelle-Blancard, Gunther & Laguna, Marie-Aude, 2010. "How does the stock market respond to chemical disasters?," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/3187, Paris Dauphine University.
- Attiya Y. Javid, 2007.
"Stock Market Reaction to Catastrophic Shock : Evidence from Listed Pakistani Firms,"
Finance Working Papers
22199, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Attiya Y. Javid, 2007. "Stock Market Reaction to Catastrophic Shock: Evidence from Listed Pakistani Firms," PIDE-Working Papers 2007:37, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Leszek Czerwonka, 2009. "Changes in share prices as a response to earnings forecasts regarding future real profits," Analele Stiintifice ale Universitatii "Alexandru Ioan Cuza" din Iasi - Stiinte Economice, Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, vol. 56, pages 81-90, November.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00637961 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.