Cost-Benefit Analysis for Transport Networks: Theory and Application
AbstractPractical methods for estimating benefits corresponding to second-best situation are derived by modelling a congestion-prone transport network explicitly. A change in total benefit of an investment in transport infrastructure can be calculated in three ways: (a) the sum of the changes in consumers' and producers' surpluses in all routes; (b) the sum of the changes in consumers' and producers' surpluses in the invested routes, plus the change in the deadweight loss in all other routes; and (c) the change in the total benefits in the first-best case a change in the deadweight loss in all routes. Applying method (c), the author demonstrates that the final benefits of distortion-relieving policies are simply the sum of a change in the deadweight loss in all routes. Theoretical results are derived in practically useful forms, and then illustrated with examples. © The London School of Economics and the University of Bath 2004
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by London School of Economics and University of Bath in its journal Journal of Transport Economics and Policy.
Volume (Year): 38 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.bath.ac.uk/e-journals/jtep
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Knudsen, M.Aa. & Rich, J., 2013. "Ex post socio-economic assessment of the Oresund Bridge," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 53-65.
- Paul Besseling & Maarten van 't Riet, 2009. "Welfare analysis in transport networks," CPB Discussion Paper 130, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Kidokoro, Yukihiro, 2006. "Regulatory reform and the congestion of urban railways," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 52-73, January.
- Melendez-Hidalgo, Jose & Rietveld, Piet & Verhoef, Erik, 2007. "On the change in surpluses equivalence: measuring benefits from transport infrastructure investments," European Transport \ Trasporti Europei, ISTIEE, Institute for the Study of Transport within the European Economic Integration, issue 36, pages 107-140.
- Ninette Pilegaard & Mogens Fosgerau, 2008.
"Cost Benefit Analysis of a Transport Improvement in the Case of Search Unemployment,"
Journal of Transport Economics and Policy,
London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 42(1), pages 23-42, January.
- Pilegaard, Ninette & Fosgerau, Mogens, 2008. "Cost benefit-analysis of a transport improvement in the case of search unemployment," MPRA Paper 10037, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Beria, Paolo & Grimaldi, Raffaele, 2013. "Appraising the benefits of bottleneck removal in rail transport: a simplified CBA approach," MPRA Paper 46889, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Edward Calthrop & Bruno De Borger & Stef Proost, 2008.
"Cost-benefit analysis of transport investments in distorted economies,"
Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers
ces0818, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Calthrop, Edward & De Borger, Bruno & Proost, Stef, 2010. "Cost-benefit analysis of transport investments in distorted economies," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 44(7), pages 850-869, August.
- Calthrop E. & De Borger B. & Proost S., 2008. "Cost-Benefit analysis of transport investments in distorted economies," Working Papers 2008011, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Maarten van 't Riet, 2011. "The link approach to measuring consumer surplus in transport networks," CPB Discussion Paper 199, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Rich, Jeppe & Nielsen, Otto Anker, 2007. "A socio-economic assessment of proposed road user charging schemes in Copenhagen," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 330-345, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.