Recasting Economic Inequality
AbstractArguing that it is necessary to refine the study of Indian inequality by studying patterns of inter group disparity, this essay highlights the salience of caste for this purpose. Outlining the imperatives of an economic enquiry into contemporary caste inequality, the essay critically reviews the small body of the theoretical and empirical work, attempting to highlight the different theoretical perspectives that underlie the literature.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Review of Social Economy.
Volume (Year): 58 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RRSE20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bönte, Werner & Filipiak, Ute, 2012. "Financial literacy, information flows, and caste affiliation: Empirical evidence from India," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 3399-3414.
- Werner Boente & Ute Filipiak, 2011. "Financial Investments, Information Flows, and Caste Affiliation - Empirical Evidence from India," Schumpeter Discussion Papers sdp11014, Universitätsbibliothek Wuppertal, University Library.
- V. Vijayalakshmi, 2004. "Citizenship, Differences and Identity: Dalit Women and Political Inclusion," Working Papers 147, Institute for Social and Economic Change, Bangalore.
- Vani K. Borooah & Sriya Iyer, 2002.
"Vidya, Veda, and Varna: The Influence of Religion and Caste on Education in Rural India,"
ICER Working Papers
32-2002, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Vani Borooah & Sriya Iyer, 2005. "Vidya, Veda, and Varna: The influence of religion and caste on education in rural India," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(8), pages 1369-1404.
- Bhupal, Ganita & Sam, Abdoul G., 2012. "Education and health outcomes for social minorities in India: An analysis using SUR model," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124840, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Florian Arun Taeube, 2004. "Proximities and Innovation Evidence from the Indian IT Industry in Bangalore," DRUID Working Papers 04-10, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.