A note on the long-run behaviour of Kaleckian models
AbstractThis paper discusses the mechanisms that drive Kaleckian models towards their long-run equilibria. After an exposition of a recent version of the Kaleckian model and of its medium-run solution, we show that the utilization and profit rates may converge endogenously toward their normal values. The model's stability conditions and the possibility of hysteresis effects are then discussed. It turns out that the main Kaleckian results can be extended to the long run.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Review of Political Economy.
Volume (Year): 18 (2006)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=102233
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lavoie, M., 1992.
"The Kaleckian Model of Growth and Distribution and its Neo-Ricardian and Neo-Marxian Critiques,"
9201e, University of Ottawa, Department of Economics.
- Lavoie, Marc, 1995. "The Kaleckian Model of Growth and Distribution and Its Neo-Ricardian and Neo-Marxian Critiques," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 19(6), pages 789-818, December.
- Cornwall,John & Cornwall,Wendy, 2001. "Capitalist Development in the Twentieth Century," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521341493, November.
- Dutt, Amitava Krishna, 1992. "Conflict inflation, distribution, cyclical accumulation and crises," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 579-597, December.
- Thomas Palley, 1998. "Macroeconomics with Conflict and Income Distribution," Review of Political Economy, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 10(3), pages 329-342.
- Hiroaki Sasaki, 2008. "Endogenous Technological Change and Distribution with Inter-Class Conflict: A Kaleckian Model of Growth," Tohoku Economics Research Group 237, Graduate School of Economics and Management, Faculty of Economics, Tohoku University.
- Eckhard Hein & Marc Lavoie & Till van Treeck, 2008.
"Some instability puzzles in Kaleckian models of growth and distribution: A critical survey,"
IMK Working Paper
19-2008, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Eckhard Hein & Marc Lavoie & Till van Treeck, 2011. "Some instability puzzles in Kaleckian models of growth and distribution: a critical survey," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(3), pages 587-612.
- Hiroaki SASAKI, 2009. "Cyclical Growth in a Goodwin-Kalecki-Marx Model," Tohoku Economics Research Group 246, Graduate School of Economics and Management, Faculty of Economics, Tohoku University.
- Sasaki, Hiroaki, 2012. "Is the long-run equilibrium wage-led or profit-led? A Kaleckian approach," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 231-244.
- Sasaki, Hiroaki, 2010. "Endogenous technological change, income distribution, and unemployment with inter-class conflict," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 123-134, May.
- Olivier Allain & Nicolas Canry, 2008. "Growth, Capital Scrapping, and the Rate of Capacity Utilisation," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00355932, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.