Symmetry and duality in Levy markets
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to introduce the notion of symmetry in a Levy market. This notion appears as a particular case of a general known relation between prices of put and call options, of both the European and the American type, which is also reviewed in the paper, and that we call put-call duality. Symmetric Levy markets have the distinctive feature of producing symmetric smile curves, in the log of strike/futures prices. Put-call duality is obtained as a consequence of a change of the risk neutral probability measure through Girsanov's theorem, when considering the discounted and reinvested stock price as the numeraire. Symmetry is defined when a certain law before and after the change of measure through Girsanov's theorem coincides. A parameter characterizing the departure from symmetry is introduced, and a necessary and sufficient condition for symmetry to hold is obtained, in terms of the jump measure of the Levy process, answering a question raised by Carr and Chesney (American put call symmetry, preprint, 1996). Some empirical evidence is shown, supporting that, in general, markets are not symmetric.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Quantitative Finance.
Volume (Year): 6 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RQUF20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Merton, Robert C., 1975.
"Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous,"
787-75., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C., 1976. "Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 125-144.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- José Fajardo & Aquiles Farias, 2002.
"Generalized Hyperbolic Distributions and Brazilian Data,"
Working Papers Series
52, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Fajardo, J. & Farias, A., 2003. "Generalized Hyperbolic Distributions and Brazilian Data," Finance Lab Working Papers flwp_57, Finance Lab, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Orlin Grabbe, J., 1983. "The pricing of call and put options on foreign exchange," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 239-253, December.
- S. G. Kou & Hui Wang, 2004. "Option Pricing Under a Double Exponential Jump Diffusion Model," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(9), pages 1178-1192, September.
- Peter Carr & Helyette Geman, 2002. "The Fine Structure of Asset Returns: An Empirical Investigation," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75(2), pages 305-332, April.
- Rheinländer, Thorsten & Schmutz, Michael, 2013. "Self-dual continuous processes," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 123(5), pages 1765-1779.
- Thorsten Rheinl\"ander & Michael Schmutz, 2012. "Quasi self-dual exponential L\'evy processes," Papers 1201.5132, arXiv.org.
- Kais Hamza & Fima C. Klebaner & Zinoviy Landsman & Ying-Oon Tan, 2014. "Option Pricing for Symmetric L\'evy Returns with Applications," Papers 1402.1554, arXiv.org.
- José Fajardo & Ernesto Mordecki, 2006.
"Skewness Premium with Lévy Processes,"
IBMEC RJ Economics Discussion Papers
2006-04, Economics Research Group, IBMEC Business School - Rio de Janeiro.
- Ernst Eberlein & Wolfgang Kluge & Antonis Papapantoleon, 2006. "Symmetries In Lévy Term Structure Models," International Journal of Theoretical and Applied Finance (IJTAF), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 9(06), pages 967-986.
- Fajardo, José & Mordecki, Ernesto, 2010. "Market symmetry in time-changed Brownian models," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 53-59, March.
- Tehranchi, Michael R., 2009. "Symmetric martingales and symmetric smiles," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 119(10), pages 3785-3797, October.
- Ilya Molchanov & Michael Schmutz, 2009. "Exchangeability type properties of asset prices," Papers 0901.4914, arXiv.org, revised Apr 2011.
- Thorsten Rheinl\"ander & Michael Schmutz, 2012. "Self-dual continuous processes," Papers 1201.6516, arXiv.org.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.