Valuation of energy storage: an optimal switching approach
AbstractWe consider the valuation of energy storage facilities within the framework of stochastic control. Our two main examples are natural gas dome storage and hydroelectric pumped storage. Focusing on the timing flexibility aspect of the problem we construct an optimal switching model with inventory. Thus, the manager has a constrained compound American option on the inter-temporal spread of the commodity prices. Extending the methodology from Carmona and Ludkovski [Appl. Math. Finance, 2008], we then construct a robust numerical scheme based on Monte Carlo regressions. Our simulation method can handle a generic Markovian price model and easily incorporates many operational features and constraints. To overcome the main challenge of the path-dependent storage levels, two numerical approaches are proposed. The resulting scheme is compared with the traditional quasi-variational framework and illustrated with several concrete examples. We also consider related problems of interest, such as supply guarantees and mines management.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Quantitative Finance.
Volume (Year): 10 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=111405
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Álvaro Cartea & Carlos González-Pedraz, 2010.
"How much should we pay for interconnecting electricity markets? A real options approach,"
Business Economics Working Papers
wb103206, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- Cartea, Álvaro & González-Pedraz, Carlos, 2012. "How much should we pay for interconnecting electricity markets? A real options approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 14-30.
- Cartea, Álvaro & González-Pedraz, Carlos, . "How much should we pay for interconnecting electricity markets? A real options approach," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/9075, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Bastian Felix, 2012. "Gas Storage Valuation: A Comparative Simulation Study," EWL Working Papers 1201, University of Duisburg-Essen, Chair for Management Science and Energy Economics, revised Jun 2012.
- Felix, Bastian Joachim & Weber, Christoph, 2012. "Gas storage valuation applying numerically constructed recombining trees," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 216(1), pages 178-187.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.