Poverty, undernutrition and vulnerability in rural India: role of rural public works and food for work programmes
AbstractThis paper analyses the effects of access to Rural Public Works (RPW) or Food for Work programme (FFW) on consumption poverty, vulnerability and undernutrition in India using the large household data sets constructed by the National Sample Survey for 1993 and 2004. The treatment-effects model is used to take account of sample selection bias in evaluating the effects of RPW in 1993 or FFW in 2004 on poverty. We have found significant and negative effects of participation in RPW and the Food for Work Programme on poverty, undernutrition (e.g. protein) and vulnerability in 1993 and 2004.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal International Review of Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 25 (2011)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://taylorandfrancis.metapress.com/link.asp?target=journal&id=102219
Other versions of this item:
- Katsushi S. Imai, 2009. "Poverty, undernutrition and vulnerability in rural India: Role of rural public works and food for work programmes," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0914, Economics, The University of Manchester.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raghbendra Jha & Raghav Gaiha, 2003.
"Determinants of Undernutrition in Rural India,"
Departmental Working Papers
2003-06, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Deaton, Angus, 1985. "Panel data from time series of cross-sections," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 109-126.
- Kijima, Yoko, 2006. "Caste and Tribe Inequality: Evidence from India, 1983-1999," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(2), pages 369-404, January.
- Bhalotra, Sonia, 2002. "Welfare Implications of Fiscal Reform: The Case of Food Subsidies in India," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Hoddinott, John & Quisumbing, Agnes, 2003. "Methods for microeconometric risk and vulnerability assessments," Social Protection Discussion Papers 29138, The World Bank.
- Jha, Raghbendra & Gaiha, Raghav & Sharma, Anurag, 2009. "Calorie and Micronutrient Deprivation and Poverty Nutrition Traps in Rural India," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 982-991, May.
- Raghbendra Jha & Sambit Bhattacharyya & Raghav Gaiha, 2009. "Timing of Capture of Anti-poverty Programs: Rural Public Works and Food for Work Programs in Rural India," ASARC Working Papers 2009-16, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Ira N. Gang & Kunal Sen & Myeong-Su Yun, 2008. "Poverty In Rural India: Caste And Tribe," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 54(1), pages 50-70, 03.
- Foster, Andrew D, 1995. "Nutrition and Health Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(2), pages 148-52, May.
- Raghbendra Jha & Katsushi S. Imai & Raghav Gaiha, 2008.
"Poverty, Undernutrition and Vulnerability in Rural India: Public Works versus Food Subsidy,"
ASARC Working Papers
2008-08, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Raghbendra Jha & Katsushi S Imai & Raghav Gaiha, 2009. "Poverty, Undernutrition and Vulnerability in Rural India: Public Works versus Food Subsidy," Working Papers id:1907, eSocialSciences.
- Dasgupta, Partha, 1997. "Nutritional status, the capacity for work, and poverty traps," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 5-37, March.
- Besley, Timothy & Coate, Stephen, 1992. "Workfare versus Welfare Incentive Arguments for Work Requirements in Poverty-Alleviation Programs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(1), pages 249-61, March.
- Katsushi S. Imai & Samuel Kobina Annim & Raghav Gaiha & Veena S. Kulkarni, 2012. "Nutrition, Activity Intensity and Wage Linkages: Evidence from India," Discussion Paper Series DP2012-10, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University, revised Dec 2012.
- Md. Faruq Hasan & Katsushi S. Imai & Takahiro Sato, 2012. "Impacts of Agricultural Extension on Crop Productivity, Poverty and Vulnerability: Evidence from Uganda," Discussion Paper Series DP2012-34, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University, revised Feb 2013.
- Katsushi S. Imai & Raghav Gaiha & Ganesh Thapa, 2012. "Does Non-farm Sector Employment reduce Rural Poverty and Vulnerability? Evidence from Vietnam and India," Discussion Paper Series DP2012-25, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University, revised Nov 2012.
- Eozenou, Patrick & Madani, Dorsati & Swinkels, Rob, 2013. "Poverty, malnutrition and vulnerability in Mali," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6561, The World Bank.
- Katsushi S. Imai & Raghav Gaiha & Woojin Kang & Samuel Annim & Ganesh Thapa, 2012. "Does Risk Matter? A Semi-parametric Model for Educational Choices in the Presence of Uncertainty," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 1226, Economics, The University of Manchester.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.