The Balance of Payments Constraint and the Post 1973 Slowdown of Economic Growth in the G7 Economies
AbstractThis paper presents estimates of export and import demand functions for the G7 economies over the period 1956 to 1995 and over two sub-periods 1956-73 and 1974-95. These estimates are used to construct predictions of the equilibrium growth rates for these economies by use of the 'Thirlwall's Law' relationship. The estimates are consistent with observed cross country growth patterns over the whole sample and the post 1973 period but are less convincing in the pre 1973 sub-period. It is argued that the slowdown in economic growth after 1973 can be partly explained by the growing internationalisation of the world economy coupled with a slowdown in the overall growth of world trade.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal International Review of Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 13 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CIRA20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Romer, Paul M, 1986.
"Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-37, October.
- J. S. L. McCombie, 1993. "Economic Growth, Trade Interlinkages, and the Balance-of-Payments Constraint," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 15(4), pages 471-505, July.
- H. Sonmez Atesoglu, 1995. "An explanation of the slowdown in US economic growth," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(4), pages 91-94.
- J. S. L. McCombie & A. P. Thirlwall, 1997. "The Dynamic Harrod Foreign Trade Multiplier and the Demand-orientated Approach to Economic Growth: an Evaluation," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 5-26.
- John S. L. McCombie, 1997. "On the Empirics of Balance-of-Payments-Constrained Growth," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 19(3), pages 345-375, April.
- H. Sonmez Atesoglu, 1994. "Balance of payments determined growth in Germany," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(6), pages 89-91.
- Jonathan Perraton & Paul Turner, 1999. "Estimates of industrial country export and import demand functions: implications for 'Thirlwall's Law'," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(11), pages 723-727.
- James G. MacKinnon, 2010.
"Critical Values for Cointegration Tests,"
1227, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Robert A. Blecker, 1992. "Structural Roots of U.S. Trade Problems: Income Elasticities, Secular Trends, and Hysteresis," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 14(3), pages 321-346, April.
- A. P. Thirlwall, 2011.
"Balance of Payments Constrained Growth Models: History and Overview,"
Studies in Economics
1111, Department of Economics, University of Kent.
- Anthony P. Thirlwall, 2011. "Balance of payments constrained growth models: history and overview," PSL Quarterly Review, Economia civile, vol. 64(259), pages 307-351.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.