Antidumping and Plant Closure
AbstractAs an indicator of 'material injury' in antidumping petitions, companies often claim plant closings have been caused by unfairly-traded imports or threaten plant closings if no relief is provided. This paper analyzes a sample of 91 companies involved in US antidumping proceedings in the 2002 to 2005 period to examine the determinants of plant closing activity with particular emphasis on the role of the antidumping process in the timing of plant closing announcements. We find that larger firms and firms in declining sectors are more likely to close plants, and that the prize of Byrd Amendment funds may help keep plants in operation (especially for smaller firms for whom these funds are likely to be more important). However, there does not appear to be a consistent and significant relationship between antidumping petitions and the timing of plant closings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal International Journal of the Economics of Business.
Volume (Year): 14 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CIJB20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jozef Konings & Hylke Vandenbussche, 2009.
"Antidumping Protection hurts Exporters:Firm-level evidence from France,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
24109, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Jozef KONINGS & Hylke VANDENBUSSCHE, 2009. "Antidumping Protection hurts Exporters: Firm-level evidence from France," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2009017, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Konings, Jozef & Vandenbussche, Hylke, 2009. "Antidumping Protection hurts Exporters: Firm-level evidence from France," CEPR Discussion Papers 7330, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- KONINGS, Jozef & VANDENBUSSCHE, Hylke, 2009. "Antidumping protection hurts exporters : firm-level evidence from France," CORE Discussion Papers 2009042, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- repec:ner:leuven:urn:hdl:123456789/237087 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.